NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boating Safty Certificate - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Boating Safty Certificate

Just got my NJ Operators license because I'm buying a 12 foot Tracker Jon boat next week. Long time salt water boater. Being I had to show my Boating Safety Certificate to get the operators license and my drivers license now show boat do I need to also show my Boater Saftey Certificate also. I keep on board my 17 foot center console. Will just my license now suffice ?
Thanks..... Walt
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Boating Safty Certificate

Better keep it with you. The coast guard is also getting into the act and if you have it keep it in your wallet.

Capt. Pat
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

USCG could give a damn about an NJ License. They have no such requirement.

You MUST to carry both cards.

And you know of course that thet Driver's License "Boat" endorsement is ONLY ONLY ONLY needed in NJ fresh water lakes. Right?

PM if you have any questions. I teach it. Answers are ALWAYS FREE.

I also teach at Lake Hoptacong and boaters who had been stopped were only asked for Boater Safety Card by NJSP.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yes I have a question. I took a boating safety course in 03' given by CG flotilla 14-04. I have the card to proove that I took the 8hr course.Although I renewed my nj driver licence once with the boat endorsement and once when I added a motorcycle endorsement in 10'. Now nj says I cannot renew my driver licence with the Boat endorsement because I don't have a boating safety certificate? I already contacted the state police and the CG auxiliary, but it seems I have to retake an 8th course anyway? Any advice? Or is it here I go again ?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You have to go online on the njsp website and find lost boaters safety card have a pic of your njdl and the address you were living when you took the course and your current as well. I got mine in less than a week
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Unfortunately I'm not in the data base, due to a CG not uploading any info into a state data base? Nothing was lost, it's just very frustrating that nj won't except a USCG approved boating safety course even though I have an I'd card to proove that I completed an 8hr course, especially after accepting it not once but twice prior to renew my licence and to add another endorcement to it!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go to the NJSP Marine Bureau website. They have a form they use.

The Form described the course you took. The NJSP will do eval to see if comparable. If so they will issue you a card.

You do not have a card issued by NJSP before do you? If so they have records and will issue you a new one just for free for the asking.

Let me know or PM me?

THIS IS NJSP SITE ANSWER:

I have taken a boating safety course in the past, will the New Jersey State Police issue a boat safety certificate based on this course?

A4

In most cases the New Jersey State Police cannot issue a New Jersey boat safety certificate to an individual who had completed a boat safety course in the past.

The Marine Services Bureau can issue New Jersey boat safety certificates based only on successful completion of an “Approved” boat safety course, the application(SP421) for which has been forwarded to the Marine Services Bureau by an approved course provider. For a course to be approved it must have been reviewed and approved by the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, for the issuance of New Jersey boat safety certificates at the time that the course was administered. As required by regulation, an approved course must include a block of instruction on New Jersey laws and regulations, printed New Jersey course materials, and New Jersey State specific test questions. New Jersey boat safety Certificates cannot be issued based on courses taught out of State, unless that course had been approved by the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police for the issuance of New Jersey boat safety certificates at the time that the course was administered.
•There were no approved boat safety courses in the State of New Jersey prior to January 19, 1988. If an individual has completed a boat safety course prior to that date, they cannot be issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate based on that course.
•Between January 19, 1988 and 1995, boat safety certificates were issued only to individuals who were under 17 years of age. These certificates had an expiration date that corresponded to the individuals 17th birthday. The certificates have not actually expired. Upon request, the Marine Services Bureau will issue an updated certificate to the individual, the new certificate will have no expiration date. See question 6 for information on obtaining a replacement certificate.
•Beginning in 1995 and continuing through the present, an approved boat safety course provider would have forwarded a SP421 application on behalf of an individual who had successfully completed an approved boat safety course. That individual would have been issued a temporary New Jersey boat safety certificate(pink copy of SP421) by the approved course provider and a permanent certificate would have been sent to the individual at a later date. If an individual had completed a boat safety course in this time frame, and they have not been issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate, it is possible that the course that was completed was not approved for the issuance of a New Jersey boat safety certificate.

There are some individuals who have successfully completed an approved boat safety course between January 19, 1988 and 1995, who were 17 years of age or older at the time of the course, and were not issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate. These individuals will be issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate by the Marine Services Bureau only if all of the following conditions are met:
•The course provider must have maintained a record verifying that the course was approved, at the time that it was administered, for the issuance of New Jersey boat safety certificates.
•The course provider must have maintained a record verifying that individuals attendance and successful completion of the course.
•The course provider must submit a SP421 in that individuals name, to the Marine Services Bureau.

If you believe that you have completed an approved boat safety course in the past, and have not been issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate, you must contact the boat safety course provider that administered the course. It is important to remember that the SP421 application must be submitted by the course provider, based on the course providers records, not on a diploma. If the course provider has failed to maintain a record of the course, they cannot submit a SP421, and a New Jersey boat safety certificate cannot be issued based on that course.
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-24-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

EXACTLY. The State Police will have a record of it. The card is just replaced for the asking.

I have the exact procedure on my NJBoatingCollege.com website under the FAQ tab. Or PM if you have any Q's

IT'S LISTED ABOVE

QUOTE=thefishermanmechanic]Yes I have a question. I took a boating safety course in 03' given by CG flotilla 14-04. I have the card to proove that I took the 8hr course.Although I renewed my nj driver licence once with the boat endorsement and once when I added a motorcycle endorsement in 10'. Now nj says I cannot renew my driver licence with the Boat endorsement because I don't have a boating safety certificate? I already contacted the state police and the CG auxiliary, but it seems I have to retake an 8th course anyway? Any advice? Or is it here I go again ?[/QUOTE]
Big time hottie crabber