NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mixed bag on the Rock - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-06-2019, 01:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Mixed bag on the Rock

Hit Splitrock reservoir at sunrise this morning for some fishing. I’ve been neglecting the sweet water recently, so I threw the kayak on the car last night and drove up to the launch early this morning. On the water by 7, it was stained brown and warmer than the air temp. The plan was to fish spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and Ned Rigs for whatever was biting. Fourth cast I get a dink smallie on the ned rig, a good way to start the morning!

About 20 minutes later I was paddling along the shoreline throwing a large white and chartreuse spinnerbait when I get smacked by something. I immediately thought it was a decent pickerel. Much to my surprise it was a good sized yellow perch! Definitely my PB. Couldn’t believe it when I pulled it into the boat!

Kept paddling along the shoreline and picked up a crappie on the ned. Right after the crappie I casted into a cove and I thought I was snagged until I felt some head shakes. I fought the beast for what must’ve been a full minute or longer, got him all the way to the boat and he decided to do a backflip, launching the hook back into the water. It would’ve been my pb smallmouth!!

Picked up a few more dinkers before calling it a day right at noon. No love on the jerk bait but the other two lures got some fish in the boat. A good day on the water! Tight lines!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	427C4110-3F4E-48A1-A7B5-98E78F9E0AB0.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	137882   Click image for larger version

Name:	612BEA2B-EA6C-4197-A7F7-906568F36F0C.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	137883   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B5F48EC-B14A-4892-8062-35E9E0A6DC53.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	137884   Click image for larger version

Name:	926E8A58-62BD-432E-AA7C-582FE7916D2C.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	137885   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD70B8A6-6ACE-4911-8651-817F0138578A.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	137886  

Old 10-06-2019, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Mixed bag on the Rock

nice trip to the rock that place can be fun. good to see the crappies still playing.what size of spinner bait did you use? or was it a in-line spinner?
Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Classic smb throwing hooks. Had two nice smb do the same this weekend. Nice fish. Ever try a slow falling lure from the kayak? Ive been doing great on flukes with snap swivels as the only weight.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Mixed bag on the Rock

Such a pretty lake, nice fish also !
Old 10-07-2019, 07:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
nice trip to the rock that place can be fun. good to see the crappies still playing.what size of spinner bait did you use? or was it a in-line spinner?
It was a spinner bait! Not sure if the size off the top of my head, but it has 2 blades and a trailer hook off of the main hook. Mostly meant for esox. Couldn’t believe he hit it, and very close to the boat too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Classic smb throwing hooks. Had two nice smb do the same this weekend. Nice fish. Ever try a slow falling lure from the kayak? Ive been doing great on flukes with snap swivels as the only weight.
I haven’t tried near weightless free falls, interesting. I’m definitely going to give that a try, especially when I get a new net and look for pike!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
It was a spinner bait! Not sure if the size off the top of my head, but it has 2 blades and a trailer hook off of the main hook. Mostly meant for esox. Couldn’t believe he hit it, and very close to the boat too!

I haven’t tried near weightless free falls, interesting. I’m definitely going to give that a try, especially when I get a new net and look for pike!
For pike i did well with 4-5 inch paddle tails. Pearl color. With a weighted ewg hook or a jig.not too heavy. Throw the lure somewhere fishy and slowly bring it in , it can stay high in water no need to bring it low. They usually smacked it in motion or just after i slowed it down. Barbless hooks was essential after like three of the four first fish were tough to unhook. I think weightless would be good too. For smb ive been fishing the flatter/open water with flukes. Ive noticed smb dont really like too-deep water, at least this time of season. I always seem to never understand what the hell these Raritan smb are up to.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

No snap swivels!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
No snap swivels!
Why not. Swivel+leader is better i guess if you dont trust the snap. I need something for line twist with weightless flukes.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

When one fails you'll understand lol... leader and barrel swivel is a better way to go.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Mixed bag on the Rock

Sweet mixed bag my man! That lake is a gem! The Smallies should be going nuts there by next week with the temp drop. Get em’!!!