NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

9/18/21 Greenwood Public Launches : WE NEED YOU! UPDATE - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-17-2021, 02:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 9/18/21 Greenwood Public Launches : WE NEED YOU! UPDATE

Hope you are all well and healthy. We attended last week's NJ Fish and Game Council meeting, and I had the opportunity to speak with Assistant Director Lisa Barno via phone.

In the meeting it was made known that the steps towards a public boat launch ramp on Greenwood were moving at amazing speed. That is good.

Please digest the following slowly: according to the Assistant Director, the next best place to focus on in terms of EFFORT OF ANGLERS would be the GOVERNOR"S office. Governor Murphy must be made aware of the issue of public access on Greenwood Lake. I was told that if we can keep this a "HOT TICKET ITEM" at the forefront and the Governor is aware of the situation that they "CAN FIND THE MONEY" to make the concept of public launch ramps a reality. Of course it boils down to FUNDING.

REMEMBER: there is also the "Lakes Bill" $750,000/year towards public access and water quality. We are going to inquire which GROUPS can apply for the money.

Back to the GOVERNOR: we plan on drafting 3 versions of a letter that will be sent to his office making him aware of the situation and asking for funding for the project. Once the letters are complete, I will post them here. You don't even have to write your own letter.....just pick one of the three, date it, sign it, and mail to the the address we provide. The Assistant Director informed me that even though we are shy of 2,000 signatures on the petition, "petitions only go so far". So, as I stated the next step is making sure the Governor is aware and can find the monies to cover the project.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: ANYONE YOU KNOW, FAMILY MEMBERS, FRIENDS, ETC. ONCE WE RELEASE THE LETTERS, LOOK THEM OVER, PICK ONE SIGN IT AND SEND IT TO THE GOVERNOR. WE ARE DOING GREAT....BUT NOW THE NEEDLE HAS TO BE MOVED TOWARDS THE FUNDING.

Again as soon as we are ready to go, I will copy the letters here and then have at it. All you have to do is SIGN AND SEND.

Keep you all posted as we move ahead. We need all your input, help, and support and thank all of you that have helped/contributed so far. This WILL result in a public launch ramp on Greenwood Lake for all the PUBLIC to enjoy.

Respectfully,

UFANJ
Old 09-17-2021, 09:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: 9/18/21 Greenwood Public Launches : WE NEED YOU! UPDATE

Nice work! Looking forward to the letters.

Thanks for your efforts on this!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 PM
dakota560

Capt Dave your efforts with this have been truly an inspiration and I know you have a hundred balls in the air. Can I ask a rudimentary question?

It's my understanding GL is a public reservoir owned by the Department of Parks and Forestry that reports up under the State Department of Environmental Protection. Not sure if it's NJ, NY or both.

Because of lake front development, we have a public waterway surrounded by private property, and lake front marinas denying the public access to a waterway they don't own.

If that's true, why wouldn't the state file for an easement requiring business owners to allow the public access since public funds are being used to maintain and stock the lake and flip the narrative on the business owners by denying them use of the lake if they don't play ball and allow access to the public with or without use of an easement.

The reason I ask is your prior post. Why should NJ and it's taxpayers have to pony up money to fund a public access point when a number of access points already exist and have existed for years on GW. Can't the state give marinas two choices. Either allow access at a fair and reasonable fee to public boat owners through an easement or threaten charging marinas a fee for use of their reservoir and associated water rights or flat out tell marina owners they can't use the body of water to moor boats if they continue denying access to the public.

Or since Greenwood is a natural reservoir, why not have the state consider making it electric or non power only like the Newark Watershed (Echo, Clinton, Oakridge and Canistear) since it is a reservoir which also flows into the Wanague River subsequently feeding both the Monksville and Wanaque Reservoirs. I'm sure given those choices, the numerous marinas on the lake and home owners might have a change of heart about their position on public boat access. It would seem to me if my ownership assumptions are correct and the state supports public access, they have all the leverage needed to resolve this matter without the need for Governor Murphy to appropriate funds or Joe taxpayer to ultimately fund the tab.

Curious if that avenue was considered as opposed to the path being taken. Building and finding funding for a completely new public access area seems ridiculous since so many access points already exist. Marina owners just happen to be holding the public hostage by denying them access yet their businesses benefit and survive based on use of that same body of water they don't own. I thought it was scenarios exactly like that which was the basis of easements becoming a legal alternative to counter rights of private property owners.

Not suggesting changing course, just curious if that option was ever considered or if it's valid.

Last edited by dakota560; 09-21-2021 at 03:01 PM..
Old 09-18-2021, 08:39 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskynut View Post
Hope you are all well and healthy. We attended last week's NJ Fish and Game Council meeting, and I had the opportunity to speak with Assistant Director Lisa Barno via phone.

In the meeting it was made known that the steps towards a public boat launch ramp on Greenwood were moving at amazing speed. That is good.

Please digest the following slowly: according to the Assistant Director, the next best place to focus on in terms of EFFORT OF ANGLERS would be the GOVERNOR"S office. Governor Murphy must be made aware of the issue of public access on Greenwood Lake. I was told that if we can keep this a "HOT TICKET ITEM" at the forefront and the Governor is aware of the situation that they "CAN FIND THE MONEY" to make the concept of public launch ramps a reality. Of course it boils down to FUNDING.

REMEMBER: there is also the "Lakes Bill" $750,000/year towards public access and water quality. We are going to inquire which GROUPS can apply for the money.

Back to the GOVERNOR: we plan on drafting 3 versions of a letter that will be sent to his office making him aware of the situation and asking for funding for the project. Once the letters are complete, I will post them here. You don't even have to write your own letter.....just pick one of the three, date it, sign it, and mail to the the address we provide. The Assistant Director informed me that even though we are shy of 2,000 signatures on the petition, "petitions only go so far". So, as I stated the next step is making sure the Governor is aware and can find the monies to cover the project.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: ANYONE YOU KNOW, FAMILY MEMBERS, FRIENDS, ETC. ONCE WE RELEASE THE LETTERS, LOOK THEM OVER, PICK ONE SIGN IT AND SEND IT TO THE GOVERNOR. WE ARE DOING GREAT....BUT NOW THE NEEDLE HAS TO BE MOVED TOWARDS THE FUNDING.

Again as soon as we are ready to go, I will copy the letters here and then have at it. All you have to do is SIGN AND SEND.

Keep you all posted as we move ahead. We need all your input, help, and support and thank all of you that have helped/contributed so far. This WILL result in a public launch ramp on Greenwood Lake for all the PUBLIC to enjoy.

Respectfully,

UFANJ
Please check your PMs, thanks!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area