NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fisherman's elbow? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Fisherman's elbow?

I have done a lot of both salt water fishing and freshwater fishing this year.

Just not as much as I wanted to due to a persistent pain in my left elbow.

Came on in July, and now I have trouble picking things up with pain, and think that I have tendon-itus in my left elbow. I have skipped a few outings due to this and expended myself on others in the love of fishing.

I know that I need to rest the elbow, but has anyone else had this trouble and survived without the rest or is the rest...man I don't want to stop fishing, required? Winter is close and a reprieve, but...I think I have Fisherman's elbow

What have your experienced?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fisherman's elbow?

Yep, tennis elbow. Had it for a good 4-5 months. The more ypu use it the longer it takes to heal. Daily trips to the chiropractor were just a waste of my insurance co money as I found no relief.
I did wear this contraption that they gave me that velcroed around the elbow and had some sort of magnet in it.
I guess it helped cause the pain soon went away but I never let the pain stop me from fishing hence why it took so long to heal.
G/L
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I am currently in the same pain since June. My Dr. gave me something for the inflammation and suggested resting it as much as possible, but between work and fishing that was not going to happen. I am waiting for the off season to hopefully get some relief and time to heal.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've been calling mine "bass elbow".
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Try L. glutamine it is supposed to lubricate your joints. You can get it at gnc and it works pretty good
Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ive got the same thing as of right now. Ive had it for 6 months, it went away and I aggravated it Salmon fishing 2 weeks ago. It sucks but you gotta wear that brace, it helps alot. Also I found that icing the elbow helps when its really irritated. I tried heat and that just seemed to make it worse.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

what timing! I just started physical therapy for my "fishermans elbow" yesterday! I did it to my right elbow last year and it took 9 months to heal!

3 months ago I felt the left one go and it felt worse than when I did it to my right one. I went to the orthopedist had xrays, and sure enough have a tear in the tendon! It hurts to bring a cup of coffee to my lips! lifting a gallon of milk is torture! I am hoping that the therapy speeds recovery!

I thought I was the only one!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve
what timing! I just started physical therapy for my "fishermans elbow" yesterday! I did it to my right elbow last year and it took 9 months to heal!

3 months ago I felt the left one go and it felt worse than when I did it to my right one. I went to the orthopedist had xrays, and sure enough have a tear in the tendon! It hurts to bring a cup of coffee to my lips! lifting a gallon of milk is torture! I am hoping that the therapy speeds recovery!

I thought I was the only one!
Steve, you like most of us fishing folks are just out of shape.... Lay off the dunkin donuts curls in the AM drive to work and you might be able to blackfish this fall....

Haaaaaa.. but seriously I have bicep tendonitis acquired over 4th of July weekend, been doing some PT work (rubber band stretches) and that has def helped. All along I was positive it was a tear in my rotator Dr. confirmed long tendon from the bicep attaches in the shoulder joint was the culprit.

With that said, GO TO THE DOCTOR, have it looked at they can sometimes give you anti inflamatory meds or even a cortisone shot (although mixed pros/cons of this) but def get yourself some PT exercises and actually DO THEM.

HAPPY FISHING
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A few years ago, I bought a 1 piece 6' 3" Falcon spinning rod @ $125,.....my most expensive rod, ever.

Used it wading @ RVR, the S. Branch & Del. River, casting # 9 Floating Rapalas, Yozuri Magnet Minnows, tubes & live crawdads w/ splitshot.

Developed that same pain in my right (casting / rod holding) elbow.

Contacted Falcon, & the Rep. there recommended another, less stiff rod.

The same length, it is a "tube rod",.............got it in exchange for the original, stiffer rod,........& have been happily using it, pain free, ever since.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

love the fact that several of us have this and nobody's saying stop fishing for a while!