NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Freshwater Fisheries Forum December 1 Recap: please read - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Freshwater Fisheries Forum December 1 Recap: please read

Let me start off by saying the meeting was bitter-sweet. I’m bitter that ONLY 25 people showed up for the meeting. It tells me two things. Either everyone is very satisfied with the way things are being handled over at F&G, or people just don’t care. I mean 25, you have that many people standing in one hole on opening day. Sweet in the fact that all these great people take the time to listen to what we have to say, I think NOW MORE THAN EVER in the history of F&G they REALLY want to know what you have to say. Free bagels, donuts and kawfee and power point presentations, c’mon, what more could you ask for. You could even drool all over the large trout and walleye they had in the raceways while you were there. Sat next to Wilson and the famous outdoor writer Jim Stabile.
The big cheese Dave Chanda started off what was to be a great 3 hour meeting. I saw a lot of the same faces in the crowd of 25, a split between RVTA guys and TU. So much was talked about and I will try to give a few highlights (this time, next time YOU BETTER BE THERE !!)
The biologists talked about everything from the results of the phone survey to why do they ask me about child support when I buy my license.

A few notes:

91 Asian swamp eels caught in Silver Lake in Camden County

Gillnetting RV - 196 lake trout

465 shad passed through the fish ladder this spring in Bound Brook, a total of over 5,000 different fish recorded.

2013 closure for shad fishing on the Raritan river

Natural lake trout reproduction in Merrill Creek, yes they are spawning on their own

We finally have a fish Dr. on site now at the hatchery

Special thanks to Mark. B. who always has the right answers to my often knee jerk reactions and all the others who took the time to explain things from another view point, the one I often don’t see, consider, or understand.

Overall a GREAT meeting. Next meeting is February 16 2013 I think….. and I would like to see a better showing, not just a handful of RVTA and TU guys.

Last edited by AndyS; 12-03-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Freshwater Fisheries Forum December 1 Recap: please read

Thanks for the recap, Andy. The pequest meeting is always smack in the worst part of my yearly schedule. I plan at making the batsto forum in Feb.

Rob
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Old Soft Salt

The thing that surprised me the most at the meeting was that although there are many dedicated state employees in fish and game, there is a salary gap in the unionized employees and the salaried employees.
Dave Chanda eluded to that when he stated that the salaried people have not received a raise in 6 years while the union people receive a raise every year.
A few of the "middle management" salaried employees have requested demotions so they can become union again and actually make more money then their boss.
Too bad this situation exsists because qualified people are looking down instead of up the ladder.
Politics, attitudes and revenue streams, or lack there of should not be a factor in the stocking and maintenance of NJ fisheries or maintaining their properties....but it is and I guess it will always be that way.
I know that for myself in the private sector a pay raise has been a thing of the past. "Your lucky to have a job" is a familiar phrase.

And I still want to know what being a "dead beat dad" has to do with buying a fishing licence
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's interesting about the Asian Swamp Eel in New Jersey.
They've been living in South Florida for a while now.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Let me start off by saying the meeting was bitter-sweet. I’m bitter that ONLY 25 people showed up for the meeting. It tells me two things. Either everyone is very satisfied will the way things are being handled over at F&G or people just don’t care, I mean 25, you have that many people standing in one hole on opening day. Sweet in the fact that all these great people take the time to listen to what we have to say, I think NOW MORE THAN EVER in the history of F&G they REALLY want to know what you have to say. Free bagels, donuts and kawfee and power point presentations, c’mon, what more could you ask for. You could even drool all over the large trout and walleye they had in the raceways while you were there. Sat next to Wilson and the famous outdoor writer Jim Stabile.
Andy/Wilson- personally want to thank you guys for being advocates for the rest of US! The fact that THEY (F&G) want to know what WE have to say is important and YOUR contributions on behalf of US is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkertaker
Andy/Wilson- personally want to thank you guys for being advocates for the rest of US! The fact that THEY (F&G) want to know what WE have to say is important and YOUR contributions on behalf of US is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
ditto for me. sorry I couldn't be there but thanks guys for representing, your attendance is greatly appreciated!