NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sunrise fishing tomorrow - Any Recommendations? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-25-2021, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Sunrise fishing tomorrow - Any Recommendations?

Hey all,

Quick anecdote before the main post here. I just went to lake Wallenpaupack two weeks ago, and if you can believe it, caught nothing (not even a bite) while I was there. I was throwing "everything" and I guess it was just never the right thing at the right time. Oh well, was still an awesome trip and was good to run my old 80's 14' Mirrocraft Northport Troller that is new to me as of a few months ago.

With that said I haven't been able to get out since that letdown of a trip, and I have tomorrow off with the misses to go where I want. I'm thinking of going early, and I live in the Trenton area.

I was thinking Mercer County Lake may pay off if I get there at sunrise, as it usually gets too pressured and I come up empty handed. This would probably be the "closest" to me. But I'm open to suggestions. My boat has a 10hp and an electric motor, so I can do most lakes in the area.

Anyone fished any of these in recent history and have had better luck at one vs the other? I'm not looking for anything too specific. Pickerel and bass (SM or LM) would make me happy, just sick of catching sunfish. Caught plenty while trout hunting in the D&R

- Delaware river off duck island - 5 mins away
- Mercer County Lake - 10 mins away
- Assunpink Lake - about 25-30 mins from me
- Manasquan Reservoir - about 45-50 mins from me
- Prospertown Lake - about 35 mins from me
- Carnegie Lake (Never been, would take my kayak) - 15 mins away
- Gropps Lake - (Never been, would take my kayak) - 10 mins away

Last edited by Joeblowv1; 06-25-2021 at 08:57 AM..
Old 06-25-2021, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Sunrise fishing tomorrow - Any Recommendations?

Manasquan Res. , but check the regs.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Sunrise fishing tomorrow - Any Recommendations?

Just rec'd my Oradell Reservoir permit and will try on Monday using Canadian night crawlers. Usually good for white perch and carp(throw them back) but they pack a good fight. See ya all later, Rammie
Old 06-28-2021, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

The squan is the furthest from me, so I decided against it. Got out for a few hours in Mercer lake, but I didn't get a bite (as per usual) I have always gone "right" from the main boat ramp, and the rowers were stirring everything up. Not to mention I've never hit the lake with a fishfinder/depthfinder before, that end of the lake was averaging about 4-5' deep...mighty shallow.

I think I might have had a better shot if I went to the other end of the lake and found some deeper areas with some dropoffs.

Edit: - Best of luck up in Oradell, but that is quite a ways away from me. I would go to round valley/spruce run area before heading that far North East. I shy away from North Eastern NJ as it just always seems too crowded and congested for my liking.

Last edited by Joeblowv1; 06-28-2021 at 08:36 AM..
Old 07-06-2021, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I haven't fished the Duck Island area, but I can speak for areas further north on the Delaware. There is also a good supply of boat launches in Hunterdon County. You can fish pretty much any species if you get out there at the right time of day and season.
Also recommend Spruce Run and Round Valley.