NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Saturday at Prospertown, smoke on the water - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-27-2024, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Saturday at Prospertown, smoke on the water

Got up around 5am, got dressed, and started out the door. Had a belt malfunction and had to go back in the house to replace it. Drove to Prospertown and it was just me and the Eagle. He was in the same tree. There was a dense fog on the water and some frost on the plants. It was dead calm with the birds singing. A Red Winged Black bird seemed to take offense to me being too close to his displaying bush calling and flying around not leaving his bush more than a few seconds.
I set up in my spot, put my gloves, and watch cap on as it was cold. Got a dink Crappie right away on a mousetail. Caught a small Trout on powerbait that had battle damage. A bite towards the tail. It must have escaped a Pickerel. Had a couple bites that didn't come tight. Got one on a mousetail. Saw a wake coming up the bank. It was a Beaver. It swam through my lines as if it was checking me out. It turned and swam towards 6 flags. The fog lifted and left glassy conditions. got two quick fish on mousetails. The sun started to warm things up so I shed my jacket and watch cap. Got a decent fish that pulled drag and jumped on powerbait. Finished up with another on powerbait. I was still alone when I left the lake around 7:45.
I missed some on mousetails. Ordering larger mosquito hooks. The powerbait fish all hooked deep. When I left there were fish boiling all around the lake. What a peaceful morning. Time to take a nap !
Old 04-27-2024, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Saturday at Prospertown, smoke on the water

Just wondering...what ever happened to that largemouth bass that kept eating hooked trout and those on a stringer at Prospertown?

Thanks.

Foggy Notion
Old 04-27-2024, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy notion View Post
Just wondering...what ever happened to that largemouth bass that kept eating hooked trout and those on a stringer at Prospertown?

Thanks.

Foggy Notion
I think that she is still around. Talked to a old timer that fishes there and he thinks that the water is still too cold. He also thought that there are more than one of these Trout eaters. The Trout that I caught today was bit by something toothy. Bass have small teeth. Last year I had two Trout attacked on my stringer losing one. Grandson named her Troy king of the lake. As soon as she makes an appearance I'll report on it. We have experienced her or her kin for some time now.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro View Post
I think that she is still around. Talked to a old timer that fishes there and he thinks that the water is still too cold. He also thought that there are more than one of these Trout eaters. The Trout that I caught today was bit by something toothy. Bass have small teeth. Last year I had two Trout attacked on my stringer losing one. Grandson named her Troy king of the lake. As soon as she makes an appearance I'll report on it. We have experienced her or her kin for some time now.
that smart old bass-[or two] will most likely wind up in a white bucket before long rather than live a good long life and die of old age.... I hope thats not the case....
Old 04-27-2024, 01:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bite on this trout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240427_133441.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	171765  
Old 04-27-2024, 03:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Several years ago when the state drained Prospertown to repair the dam, they netted several bass that were larger than the current NJ state record. They placed these big bass in a lake in central Jersey. Perhaps the trout eating bass in Prospertown is an offspring of one of these bass.?

Foggy Notion
Old 04-27-2024, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy notion View Post
Several years ago when the state drained Prospertown to repair the dam, they netted several bass that were larger than the current NJ state record. They placed these big bass in a lake in central Jersey. Perhaps the trout eating bass in Prospertown is an offspring of one of these bass.?

Foggy Notion
I heard from more than one source that they were put in Turnmill lake. I don't think that they got all the fish out when they seined. Bass are opertunistic feeders. When they get big enough to swallow a Trout they start to specialize their feeding. Easy prey builds bigger bass. I saw this in San Diego. Watched Bass herd Trout at San Vicente res. And push them right up on the bank. Most if not all the Trout stocked lakes in southern California have big Bass. Large Trout colored swimbaits catch more than their share of monsters. I have an 8" swimbait that I might try when Troy shows up. I couldn't kill her. I just want a picture.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sorry...Turnmill Pond is not where they went as I witnessed the release. Tried to catch a new NJ record through the ice, but no luck.