NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Private launch ramps on Staten Island? - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-25-2021, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Private launch ramps on Staten Island?

I spoke to the Nassau County Marine Police Bureau today as well.. They also said NY and NJ coastal waters are indeed reciprocal , and that due to my age [66] that I was still compliant in NY and the NJ/Conn border waters to NY .. I intend to go with that, and fish any side of the bay I want this year..

To answer your question as to why I have a problem with the ""boaters safety certificate""-

Its because it is strictly a big government money grab..

A boater can't take his own 14 foot 10 HP boat out in NJ without this bogus "certificate".. Ok fine...
However, he CAN rent a 20 foot center console for about $700 for the day,that will do 30 knots, NO certificate required.. Same thing with a big fancy Pontoon boat.

Honestly what kind of crap is that?...

I am almost 67 years old, and have owned boats all my life, and always try to be as safe and as courteous as I possibly can be every time I am on the water..

I do NOT need a safety certificate at this point in my life.. Its just another way for the government to make money.. Otherwise, the would NEVER allow a "non compliant" person to rent a boat or even a waverunner with no certificate, which is a LOT more dangerous than a little fishing boat.. No, at this point, I will not pay for a "boaters safety certificate", because I disagree with the premise 100%, due to the loopholes and discrepancies in its implementation.

If God gives me the good health I need to be humping a boat and trailer 500 miles round trip to fish saltwater in 4 years when I will be almost 71, then I will consider it... Right now, my boat and trailer registration fees, ramp fees, state taxes on gas, tolls, taxes on food, bait, tackle, supplies I buy in NJ and NY when I go fishing, are more than sufficient for these states.

They will get their money when I no longer have a choice..

At this time I still do have a choice.. I am legal in NY waters, as well as adjoining tidal waters in NJ and Connecticut until 2025, and I intend to take advantage of that fact..

I don't have a bad attitude, I just don't like big government sticking their nose into every aspect of an individuals life... bob
Old 03-26-2021, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I see. Actually the government gets nothing for the NJ BSC. But facts can confuse misinformation. But I'm sure you can find someone that says they do.

You're not compliant in NJ or CT, only NY waters and that NY compliance ends January 1, 2025 unless you can find some guy to tell you what you want to hear. The Jersey fine is up to $500.

Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I spoke to the Nassau County Marine Police Bureau today as well.. They also said NY and NJ coastal waters are indeed reciprocal , and that due to my age [66] that I was still compliant in NY and the NJ/Conn border waters to NY .. I intend to go with that, and fish any side of the bay I want this year..

To answer your question as to why I have a problem with the ""boaters safety certificate""-

Its because it is strictly a big government money grab..

A boater can't take his own 14 foot 10 HP boat out in NJ without this bogus "certificate".. Ok fine...
However, he CAN rent a 20 foot center console for about $700 for the day,that will do 30 knots, NO certificate required.. Same thing with a big fancy Pontoon boat.

Honestly what kind of crap is that?...

I am almost 67 years old, and have owned boats all my life, and always try to be as safe and as courteous as I possibly can be every time I am on the water..

I do NOT need a safety certificate at this point in my life.. Its just another way for the government to make money.. Otherwise, the would NEVER allow a "non compliant" person to rent a boat or even a waverunner with no certificate, which is a LOT more dangerous than a little fishing boat.. No, at this point, I will not pay for a "boaters safety certificate", because I disagree with the premise 100%, due to the loopholes and discrepancies in its implementation.

If God gives me the good health I need to be humping a boat and trailer 500 miles round trip to fish saltwater in 4 years when I will be almost 71, then I will consider it... Right now, my boat and trailer registration fees, ramp fees, state taxes on gas, tolls, taxes on food, bait, tackle, supplies I buy in NJ and NY when I go fishing, are more than sufficient for these states.

They will get their money when I no longer have a choice..

At this time I still do have a choice.. I am legal in NY waters, as well as adjoining tidal waters in NJ and Connecticut until 2025, and I intend to take advantage of that fact..

I don't have a bad attitude, I just don't like big government sticking their nose into every aspect of an individuals life... bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-26-2021, 01:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
I see. Actually the government gets nothing for the NJ BSC. But facts can confuse misinformation. But I'm sure you can find someone that says they do.

You're not compliant in NJ or CT, only NY waters and that NY compliance ends January 1, 2025 unless you can find some guy to tell you what you want to hear. The Jersey fine is up to $500.

Good luck !
I respect you capt Frank, but I have personally spoken to the NJ Marine Police, the Nassau County NY Marine Police, and ENCON [Conn. Marine Police].. They all said that in adjoining coastal waters I was ok... Don't know what more I can say.. Its a few more weeks until I can get my boat down there anyway, so I have a bit more time to get information, but all 3 marine law enforcement agencies disagree with your opinion.. You could be right, and all 3 agencies I contacted are wrong, but I dunno, it doesn't seem likely.. I won't argue the point here, and I will keep trying to get information. bob