NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tip up spools -- how are you spooling yours? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Tip up spools -- how are you spooling yours?

As I dive further and further into the deep, cold realm of ice fishing, more and more questions arise as I know next to nothing about it aside from FLAGGGG!!! lol...

Anyhow, Dale was nice enough to throw some tip ups my way and I'm looking to familiarize myself with how to spool them properly. With that said, how are you guys spooling your tip up spools? What are good brands of tip-up line? How much line are you putting on? (the deepest I'll be fishing is prob 30'.) What lb test? Do you back the spools with anything? I get the fluoro leader part, hook size, etc., but I'd like some info on what to do from the leader back.

Thanks in advance. As always, the info is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tip up spools -- how are you spooling yours?

I put probably 30 yards of 20 pound mono and then uni-to-uni Dacron on it. I've gotten both fly-line backing to use and also trolling Dacron. Almost all my tip-ups now have 30 or 50-pound Bass Pro (Offshore Angler) Magibraid. I think it's like $15 for 300 yards, and you really don't need much more than 50 yards, although I probably have close to 75 on each. That Magibraid is awesome. Haven't changed it in years and it's still in fantastic shape. I also use the chartreuse becasue i see which way the line is going under the hole better. I can guarantee you the color makes no difference to the fish. I catch just as much, if not more, than my buddies with black or green line. Depending on what I'm targeting, I use anywhere from 15 to 40-pound fluoro leader.

And btw, I slip a button on the Dacron to keep track of my depth (a whole different story), then I slip a small egg sinker on the Dacron to bring the bait down, then a small barrel swivel then my leader and hook.

This is the stuff....

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...product/20099/

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 02-05-2014 at 01:08 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
I put probably 30 yards of 20 pound mono and then uni-to-uni Dacron on it. I've gotten both fly-line backing to use and also trolling Dacron. Almost all my tip-ups now have 30 or 50-pound Bass Pro (Offshore Angler) Magibraid. I think it's like $15 for 300 yards, and you really don't need much more than 50 yards, although I probably have close to 75 on each. That Magibraid is awesome. Haven't changed it in years and it's still in fantastic shape. I also use the chartreuse becasue i see which way the line is going under the hole better. I can guarantee you the color makes no difference to the fish. I catch just as much, if not more, than my buddies with black or green line. Depending on what I'm targeting, I use anywhere from 15 to 40-pound fluoro leader.

And btw, I slip a button on the Dacron to keep track of my depth (a whole different story), then I slip a small egg sinker on the Dacron to bring the bait down, then a small barrel swivel then my leader and hook.

This is the stuff....

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...product/20099/
Thanks dude...great info.! I'm familiar with the button. Dale brought me up to speed with that being as all of his tip ups have a button on the line for depth setting purposes.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good stuff. Sounds like yer well on your way. Gotta respect the button.