NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic Pike/ Gnarly Injury Report 6/26 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Passaic Pike/ Gnarly Injury Report 6/26

Hit the river after work for some Pike fishing, only worked half a day today. River was coffee colored after yesterdays t-storms. Started throwing a 5 1/2 inch X-rap. As soon as it hits the water the Pike are on it. First fish is around 24, healthy fish, thicker than this time last year. 2nd fish is a solid 30 inches or so, another healthy fish. 3rd fish is rippin drag, taking me for a little ride. After a short battle, I land the 34 inch fat Pike. Had the rod in my left hand and the fish in my right hand getting ready to take the hook out. Fish does an intense wiggle, falls to the ground, the lure comes loose and "BANG", right into my thumb goes one part of the treble and another hook into my index finger. Release the beast safely into the water and take a look at my casting hand, doesn't look to good. Inspect the hook in the thumb, not too bad. Do the old wrap the line around the hook trick, yanked it out with ease. Index finger is next, bleeding pretty good. The hook gashed my finger about a half an inch, then embedded itself into the fatty part of the lower section of my index finger. Felt around for the point of the hook and decided to push it through and cut the barb off with my lineman pliers, it worked. Cleaned off my hand and ran to the local pharmacy, picked up some peroxide and some bandages. After cleaning up the injury I had to make a decision, do I call it a day or do I get back to the HOT PIKE bite. Right back to the fish I went. Managed to pick up 5 more Pike for the day coming to a total of 8. 4 fish were between 24-28 inches and 4 were between 30-34 inches. Hell of an afternoon on the river. I can still move my hand without any problem so Im assuming theres no nerve damage, LOL!!! All fish came on the X-rap pictured. I replaced the hooks after cutting them off to perform a little road surgery. Hows that for HARDCORE!?!? GOOD TIMES TIGHT LINEZ!!! YEA BUDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYY!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00213.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	60722   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00214.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	60723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00216.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	60724   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00218.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	60725   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00211.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	60726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00217.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	60727  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Passaic Pike/ Gnarly Injury Report 6/26

You are the man!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

damn I really need to find a spot on the river that produces like that, seems like you're always catching em there
Old 06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I believe Eddie just earned his Purple Pike Medal for returning to the battlefield after sustaining a Pike-induced injury. Way to fight through buddy, good fish!

We got 20+ Pike in about 3 hours on Sunday between a few of us. The river is starting to heat up...

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek

Last edited by Skunk City; 06-26-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM
iceehot6766

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoran719
damn I really need to find a spot on the river that produces like that, seems like you're always catching em there
Same here.....I live very close to the river but don't know where to start fishing for Mt. Tooth.....Any help would be appreciated....If anyone wants to go after work one day and doesn't mind if I go along, send me a pm .....Ed, hope the finger heals correctly.....be careful for infection and or tetanus......BTW, nice Pike....these are some awesome and impressive fish.....gotta get me some
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice job battling through Eddie. I almost don't want to say it but I've yet to get a big imbedded anywhere in my body. I had a small trout rooster tail rocket back from a snag into my knee but that came out with ease. Atleast you really got on em before this next week or so of terrible forecasted weather.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have still yet to catch a pike seems like they all swim to you. Looks like I'm going to have to put my boat in elmwood park and go as far as I can. Nice catch though good job!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Passaic Pike/ Gnarly Injury Report 6/26

Tetanus shot

What a trooper !
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Tetanus shot

What a trooper !
When I was in a hospital with a broken arm, I asked an old doctor if he ever seen anybody with tetanus. His answer was no. So I guess its not that bad. On the other hand, those ticks are a real danger. Stay safe guys.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Passaic Pike/ Gnarly Injury Report 6/26

...........and thanx for taking the time to take a photo of the whole ordeal.

You have the pain threshold of an animal.