NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Salmon steelhead meet and greet oct 3,4,5 - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-13-2014, 07:21 PM
dakota560

Default Re: Salmon steelhead meet and greet oct 3,4,5

Attached picture is of glue egg clusters I started making about 10 years ago. I have yet to find anyone who sells egg clusters like these and I can safely say when steel head and browns are on eggs (steel head or brown trout eggs), these clusters fished nymph style will out produce any other presentation. I release every trout I catch, so there's no need to kill a brown or steel head for it's eggs with this fly. If anyone in the M&G wants to further understand what my post was intended to say about fishing the salmon river the right way after the circus leaves town, I'd be more than happy to meet up and offer you what I've earned over the years. As I said, it's a world class fishery and one you will enjoy if you fish it the right way and more importantly at the right time of year and in the right locations. Don't let the excitement of seeing 20 and 30 lb salmon or 15 lb trout influence your behavior. Salmon for the most part will not feed once they enter the river and are in spawning mode. Aside from an occasional aggression strike, they're in the river to perpetuate their species and that's it. There have been countless arguments about this over the years but that's my opinion. Browns and steel head are completely the opposite. Browns will spawn in the fall and have a voracious appetite. I've had instances where I've caught the same fish four times in one day, every one of them actually hit....no snagging or lining. Steel head spawn in the spring and feed all winter long in the river. Eggs and insects are their primary forage. They feed throughout and if you learn the proper techniques you will have an experience of a lifetime and catch a fish of a lifetime....guaranteed.

Good luck to everyone who makes the trip in October, I wish you all the best but as I said please learn the river and proper techniques and don't let the adrenalin rush influence bad behavior. You'll eventually be rewarded for your sportsmanship!

Dakota
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clusters.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	75800  
Old 09-16-2014, 03:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok here the scoop as of last two dayuncles been up and all over river some fish mid section but nothing great hes traveled and walked a bunch of spots already ass has had zero hookups! He is now fishing the estuary where the bulk of the fish are but nothing spectacular it rained hard toady maybe that'll help tomorrow! He has seen a few hooked up and landed in Oswego don't forget your life jackets as they are mandatory!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Caught my first salmon ever!!! What a fight in this beast and another fish off my bucket list. Thought I snagged another stupid rock until this beast started shooting up the river. Can't wait to catch another one, here till Thursday!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Fun, ain't it!? I'll be up tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It was great was cold too until I caught it. My blood was boiling and hands started shaking when I saw it. Like a trout but on steroids.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeps326 View Post
It was great was cold too until I caught it. My blood was boiling and hands started shaking when I saw it. Like a trout but on steroids.
Heheheheh, he's hooked! Another case of 'salmon fever'. Now just wait until you hook into a nice fresh chromer Mike. They take the adrenaline rush to a whole 'nuther level!

Last edited by Dave B.; 09-22-2014 at 11:53 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Salmon steelhead meet and greet oct 3,4,5

YEA BUDDY! Congrats on your first dude!!! Let the games begin.........
Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Site Sponsor

Salmon crazy reporting a huge push of fish down at the rt 3 bridge as far you can see swirling and fish busting here we go fellas!!!!!!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

How's the fishing gwl2oneida? I'm think of coming up tomorrow but I'm not sure if it's worth it
Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Spent tuesday on the salmon river, low numbers but I saw enough fish as high up as glass pool, water was 66 degrees and no luck with fish. Oswego river today, extreme low water, 66 degrees, limited on fresh kings by 9:05 am.