NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Salmon steelhead meet and greet oct 3,4,5 - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Salmon steelhead meet and greet oct 3,4,5

Welcome to the show Ken! Gona be a great time! Anybody else coming up? Speak now! Times running out and there will be fish running within a week. My sixth Salmon sense tells me there's going to be a HUGE push of fish the weekend were up there. C'mon up, don't be bashful!!! YEA BUDDY!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Salmon steelhead meet and greet oct 3,4,5

I hope some of the fish swim through the river atleast in 2 weeks looking slow right now. I think the over needs rain!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeps326 View Post
I hope some of the fish swim through the river atleast in 2 weeks looking slow right now. I think the over needs rain!
Anyday now Mike, trust me!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tryn to get that wknd off of work.
QUESTION.....
Ive been going up for years.
Yes..... im a snagger.
Tried to catch em legally and it just dont work.
Dont get me wrong ive mouth hooked em. Flossing or whatever call it, from Aggression strikes, ect. but you ALL know they dont eat.
So I know people actually do catch em and believe me I want to learn.
Will there be some type of instruction on fishing here?
Now dont everyone get there panties in a bunch cause I sangged em cause I know at one time you all have.
I just honestly want to learn.
Thx.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Site Sponsor

Dave myself and eddie got no problem showin you the ropes, really a piece of cake its basically comes down to light. Line and the right weight for the area your fishing. Leave the rippin hooks for the locals lol
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just wanna remind everyone who's going that you will need an ny fishing license. Plenty of places to get one up there.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Really really really got the itch!!! Salmon fishing is like fishing for blues on crank! Last yr i was literally throwing blank hooks for them and hooking up! Fishing sacks is greay for salmon but it ups your odds dramatically for some steel or browns! Wise old man once said to me fish 1,2 lb test drift it through if you get a bite you know hes in there and you can work on him with your 4-8 not like you stand a chance on 2 lol
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 AM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Why don't you come on up RIVER RAT!?!?!? It's a great time with great people!

Other guys!!!!!! Please keep negativity off the MEET-N-GREET posts! It's bad for business. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no doubt. But just because you've had a few bad experiences doesn't mean you have the right to try and ruin our party. YEA BUDDY!!!!! TIGHT LINEZ!!!!!!
Fast Eddie,

Why would you assume I was trying to ruin your meet and greet as opposed to painting a picture of what actually takes place on the river during the Salmon Run. A few bad experiences.....I've been fishing the river for over 30 years and I can assure you I'm referring to more than a few bad experiences. I actually thought my recommendation to fish the DSR, if you can afford the fee, or the UFZ or LFZ would help everyone have a better time and enjoy the benefits of a great fishery. From posts you've made, you're obviously experienced with the river, so you know exactly what I'm talking about regarding the comments I made in my post. I was simply trying to prepare people who are willing to make a long run of what the environment is. That's called adding reality and perspective to the thread, not trying to ruin anyone's trip as you suggest. I didn't create the environment on the river and am not one of the clowns who snags every fish that swims by with a 10 foot surf rod. But as you know they're all over the river. It would be best to stay away from the Town Pool, the Ball Park, the Tressel Pool and the Sportsmans Pool and even Ellis Cove and surrounding area if you don't like crowds and don't want to witness the complete lack of sportsmanship that takes place. It could ruin your trip. Take time to fish the spots on the river where it takes a little walking to get to them if you know where they are. You'll be rewarded and I believe it will greatly improve your experience. I think the Meet and Greet is a great thing you're doing, that doesn't mean people aren't entitled to know what to expect when they get there. Would you rather it come as a complete surprise and have people pissed off or disappointed no one said anything? I for one would rather know as much as possible about the river and if there are options that would make this world class fishery a more enjoyable experience for me and my son if he were going with me I'd certainly appreciate someone pointing it out. I wish someone did that for me 35 years ago, it would have made the difference on more than a few trips. If that's not helpful let me know and I'll delete my posts. The SR is as good a fishery as you'll find in the world for Brown Trout and Steelhead, you just have to endure the clowns that make a mockery of the fishery during the Salmon Run and hope the weather turns cold sooner than later and the water flow is high to allow these trophy fish to run the gauntlet of snaggers on the river. Once Columbus Day is behind us and the weather starts to change and the leaves are off the trees, that's when the Salmon River comes alive. Steelhead and browns start pouring into the river, crowds for the most part disappear and you can have trips which you'll remember for the rest of your life. Absolutely epic at times! What I would suggest for anyone going on the meet and greet is to devote some amount of time learning the river. Ignore the full parking lots. Get a map of the river off of any of the popular web sites and drive around. Every fish has to travel the entire river to get to the hatchery or the dam and there's a lot of off the beaten path places to fish if you take time to walk a little. It's worth the effort. Check out the UFZ and the LFZ, if you have a fly rod it is without doubt the place to fish to get away from the crowds. It does get crowded at times but no where near as crowded as the lower river. I've had trip where 40 to 50 brown / steel head were caught in a day. My son has caught browns to 17 pounds and I've caught steel head over 20 pounds in the river. Average steel head is probably 5 - 8 pounds but fish over 10 are quite common. Learn the river, learn the techniques, and choose the right time of year to fish and you'll be hooked on the best fresh water fishery bar none.

My apologies if my post was considered offensive by anyone. As I said I will gladly delete them if people don't think a dose of reality about the river or suggestions which might improve your experience are beneficial. Let me know and I'd be happy to delete them. Either way I hope everyone has a great trip and learns something about the river and proper fishing techniques.

Dakota
Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Site Sponsor

Myself dakota totally agree with ya, these things you mentioned are sadly true. last year i was fishing down low guy legally caught a nice hen chromey bout 10 lbs does a nice release makin ready the fish is ready lets her go two russian kids run down to watch, as the guy releases the fish i turn to him and told him very nice man u dont see that much. No sooner than that the russian kid rips a hook into the same fish sitting in the same spot where the gentleme. Had released it made me sick! Folks you will see outrageous and stupid things as mentioned we go where the steels at and we wilk be fishin the right way if you dont know how to ask mysef or eddie have years of experience. Doing this and will be more than happy to help. Depending waterflow is going to factor i. Where we will be fishing lfz woukd be ideal i could take the group up above the bridge and eddie coukd take the spin fishing crowd below the bridge or somthin along that. Ps ... think of the salmon as baitfish lol the real fish is the steelies and browns.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423

Last edited by Mikey topaz; 09-12-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Old 09-13-2014, 07:00 PM
dakota560

Fast Eddie,

Just sent you a pm. As I mentioned if you're up at the Salmon River November or throughout the winter, let me know and maybe we can spend some time on the river. Just a few pictures of what the Salmon River fishery is all about and the world class trout fishery it provides.

Dakota
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00024.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	75795   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00028.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	75796   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00040.jpg