NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Marine VHF advice - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Marine VHF advice

The USCG does NOT monitor that distress signal. Do not think of it as a poor mans EPIRB. It's NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo
Def get a dashboard one with the "distress" button. Forget what it's actually called but you register the unit with the CG and if the boat is going down you hit the button and it automatically transmits SOS with GPS coordinates. Well worth the extra couple of bucks.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank
Without A DOUBT. the best bang for the buck is in the antenna. Good one is about $160. And the higher up it is mounted the better. The old saying in every foot higher is equivalent to 10 watts of extra transmit power.

A hand held can be VERY JUICED UP if you use the main atnenna. Get an adapter. That 5-6 transmit watts will be a little better. But RECEPTION WILL SCREAM with that hi gain antenna.

ICOM is a very good brand I have a IC-422. It is waterproof too. A great, but not cheap radio- about $200 w/ ability to hook in your GPS.

They are now selling VHF's with built in GPS and even AIS( recieve only). A waste of money for most. With the DSC ( you have a MMSI#) you can call buddies and see who is around with your registered MMSI's in your unit.

And the USCG doen't monitor the Auto Distress Signal even though its been out almost 10 years. DOn't put too much stock in that as a desireable feature. It is NOT.

The suggested primary focus should be the best antenna your money can buy. One night on a sea tow boat the S/T boat next( doing a night salvage in Raritan Bay outside Keyport) to me had a smaller Very high gain antenna compared to my 16' high gain standard antenna. He was picking up and talking to a handheld VHF on the other side of the Keyport Bridge I could not hear except on his radio speakers. I WAS SOLD. It's not hype. Tha Hi gain antenna is first choice on where the money goes, then the radio with what's $$ left.
I have to agree here definitely get a good antenna. I have a medium grade radio with a good antenna and it really gives great range.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great advice Frank. Did not know it made that much of a difference inshore too... Learn something new every day.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Finding the right adapter to get from my handheld to my mounted Antenna was harder than expected. .. Found it at Wayne Electric...FYI...10 bucks.

I'd get the good antenna and keep the handheld.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks
Will look for high gain ant.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

We just picked up a hand held as a back up for this year incase we loose the main unit we use..

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.