NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Marine VHF advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Marine VHF advice

Eric the MM has been very gracious and offered to kick in some money for a VHF for the dirty shrimp. I have a hand held but but all parties involved would feel safer with the added distance of a fixed unit with a bigger antenna. what features should I look for in a console mounted unit and are they truly better then a handheld. The handheld of coarse would not go to waste as I fugure it will be a good back up.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Marine VHF advice

Steve:

I love ICOM...

I would also suggest this antenna:
Shakespeare 5225XT Galaxy 8 ft VHF Marine Antenna

Good luck...

Joe T.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You can just mount an antennae and hook it up to your handheld depending on the handheld. But a back up is always a feeling of comfort. Esp. if it's not hooked up to the boat's elec.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have no idea the right terminology, but look into one with the "hidden" channels, like channel 1-1,2,3. channel 2-1,2,3... etc.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Def get a dashboard one with the "distress" button. Forget what it's actually called but you register the unit with the CG and if the boat is going down you hit the button and it automatically transmits SOS with GPS coordinates. Well worth the extra couple of bucks.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

No need to buy new. Plenty of antennas and radios on Craigslist.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Site Sponsor

Spearo that is a great feature to have for the VHF. You didn't mention it, but probably to it for granted he knew, but it has to hooked up to a GPS unit. The ICOMs are the best for me.

captreelaction@aol.com
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

ICOM is definately one of the better brands... The feature you want to make sure it has is DSC, Read up on it in this link http://www.vhf-dsc.info/what.html

Best to flush mount it permanent in the dash but if you don't want to cut holes in your dash most have brackets too.

Since VHF operates on line of site, the higher the antenna the longer your reach is going to be. Probably not as important to you since you stay in close but very important if you plan on going offshore.

As far as the antenna mount, don't cheap out here... Tell Eric to spring for the metal one since the plastic ones tend to break when they are subjected to the boucing around you do in the bay and oceans.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Again. Thanks for all the responses
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Without A DOUBT. the best bang for the buck is in the antenna. Good one is about $160. And the higher up it is mounted the better. The old saying in every foot higher is equivalent to 10 watts of extra transmit power.

A hand held can be VERY JUICED UP if you use the main atnenna. Get an adapter. That 5-6 transmit watts will be a little better. But RECEPTION WILL SCREAM with that hi gain antenna.

ICOM is a very good brand I have a IC-422. It is waterproof too. A great, but not cheap radio- about $200 w/ ability to hook in your GPS.

They are now selling VHF's with built in GPS and even AIS( recieve only). A waste of money for most. With the DSC ( you have a MMSI#) you can call buddies and see who is around with your registered MMSI's in your unit.

And the USCG doen't monitor the Auto Distress Signal even though its been out almost 10 years. DOn't put too much stock in that as a desireable feature. It is NOT.

The suggested primary focus should be the best antenna your money can buy. One night on a sea tow boat the S/T boat next( doing a night salvage in Raritan Bay outside Keyport) to me had a smaller Very high gain antenna compared to my 16' high gain standard antenna. He was picking up and talking to a handheld VHF on the other side of the Keyport Bridge I could not hear except on his radio speakers. I WAS SOLD. It's not hype. Tha Hi gain antenna is first choice on where the money goes, then the radio with what's $$ left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
ICOM is definately one of the better brands... The feature you want to make sure it has is DSC, Read up on it in this link http://www.vhf-dsc.info/what.html

Best to flush mount it permanent in the dash but if you don't want to cut holes in your dash most have brackets too.

Since VHF operates on line of site, the higher the antenna the longer your reach is going to be. Probably not as important to you since you stay in close but very important if you plan on going offshore.

As far as the antenna mount, don't cheap out here... Tell Eric to spring for the metal one since the plastic ones tend to break when they are subjected to the boucing around you do in the bay and oceans.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber