NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

A Raritan River Fish Story - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-03-2022, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Post A Raritan River Fish Story

Seeing that conditions were favorable for some bigger fish to be running up the Raritan, I made the hour-long drive to the fish ladder. I came armed with my medium-heavy bass rod, knowing that my normal finesse spinning outfit was not up to the tasks I had in mind for the day. I tied on a chartreuse and white chatterbait with a swimbait trailer, and began casting into the murky, rushing water.

After about 20 minutes, my bait stopped dead mid-river. I tried to pop it loose from what I was certain was a snag. Certain, that is, until the “snag” started to move. Fish on! I came tight to what felt like an average-sized fish, maybe a smallmouth or largemouth. Then, the fish began to pull harder, and I thought I may have enticed a big walleye. Then the fish pulled harder still, and I thought I may have hooked a giant striper. Then my rod began to bend nearly at the grip, and my imagination really started to go wild, wondering what could possibly be testing my tackle. However, even my imagination was no match for the reality of what I saw come to the surface: a massive, monstrous MUSKY!

It was far bigger than any musky I had ever seen caught from the river. I have no way of knowing just how big this fish was, but based on other muskies I have seen, there was no way it wasn’t bigger than 40 inches. If you were to measure it based on my trembling arms, shaking knees, and dazed expression, it might as well have been ten feet long. It had a massive, alligator-like head, and its body seemed as thick around as a telephone pole. As I watched it break the surface, this beast that embodied the pounding torrent of the falls just upriver, my first instinct was one of pure dread.

Two problems became immediately apparent when I realized what I had hooked. The 12-pound test spooled on my baitcasting reel was no match for such a creature, who could part it as easily as a man waving a spider’s web from his path. Second, I saw my chatterbait planted in its back; far away from the gnashing fangs that could effortlessly shear the line, but making it impossible for me to turn the fish and even attempt to control the fight. For about ten seconds, the fish swam away, retreating farther out into the river, not even acknowledging the reel drag as it did whatever it damn well pleased, with me powerless to stop it.

Then, mercifully, the hook pulled free.

As some of you know, I usually record my fishing trips with a video camera. Well, in this particular instance, the camera was off, and tucked in my coat pocket. The other fishermen there didn’t get nearly as good a look at the fish as I did. So, with no evidence but my word, you are free to disbelieve my story. However, do so at your own peril. For all who dare to ply the waters of the Raritan, be forewarned: dragons are not a myth. They are real. And they make their home in the murky depths of the Raritan River.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-03-2022, 11:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: A Raritan River Fish Story

Gr8 story!! I believe it 100%
Old 04-03-2022, 02:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Whoa! Could you tell if it was a pure or tiger musky? If pure, it probably swam from Carnegie Lake down the Millstone to the Raritan.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Did it look like this? this was the one I snagged in the bottom March 2020, same stretch of river
Old 04-03-2022, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've hooked a bunch in the raritan. Landed a 41.5" tiger. Tbe rest clipped me off as I was only armed with #14 fluoro. I've hooked in that area and all the way down into NB/Somerset stretches. They're only going to get bigger with all the food in that river, esp in the spring as the suckers and shad run upstream.

I 100% believe the story. Lard ain't no liar!
Old 04-03-2022, 07:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Did it look like this? this was the one I snagged in the bottom March 2020, same stretch of river
It's possible, it had similar girth and coloration.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-04-2022, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have no reason to doubt you , I've caught many surprise fish in that exact location . I've caught a few Northern Pike that were real trophies right at that spot . I've also spent hours at a time there without a hit and have lost countless amount of tackle .
Great story and thanks for sharing , the Raritan has kicked my butt way to often but then it has delivered many rewards.
You , judging from your videos over the years have witnessed much the same . One of my favorite was the trout contest....talk about no justice, man I felt your pain! Anyway I'm a believer !
Old 04-06-2022, 11:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: A Raritan River Fish Story

It's a shame the camera wasn't rolling but what can you do. I have seen 2 very large true strain Muskellunge swimming in the area, I spotted them during river clean ups. My guess is they are gorging on the spring sucker run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2014-08-13-17h27m55s47.jpg (8.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 04-06-2022, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: A Raritan River Fish Story

Awesome story Lard and 100% the truth. There be Serpents in that there water. And all kinds of other big predators. I’m liking the rain we’re getting. Stripers are milling around the Driscoll bridge all the way up to Landing lane. It’s go time!!!
Old 04-07-2022, 02:11 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Could have been your most viewed YouTube video yet! Damn shame, but the story and fight itself is worth more.