NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!!

Now you know why the stripers were not in the bay last year. They never made it back from the Hudson river. But NY keeps uping the size limit.

This is something I did not even think was going on in NY effecting NJ waters.

Stripers Forever members – some great news from the State of New York. A4112, a bill to prohibit commercial fishing for striped bass in the Hudson River – effectively making it a game fish there - has already passed the Assembly. S4948, the Senate version of this bill, is coming up for a hearing before the Environmental Conservation Committee on Feb. 23. The bill is sponsored by Senator Antoine M. Thompson, the Chairman of the committee. The Hudson is the second largest spawning ground for striped bass; keeping it free from the pressures of commercial gill netting is vital to the health of the striper population. We all need to get behind this bill now to make sure it takes effect.

Here is what you can do to help:
•If you are a NY State resident you should e-mail or even better, phone, write and e-mail the office of your state senator today and tell him or her that you want their support for S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the pressures of commercial fishing. You should also send a copy of your e-mail or letter to all Senators on the Environmental Conservation committee.
•If you are not a NY State resident you should still e-mail or write the Senators on the committee and tell them that striped bass spawned in the Hudson are important to the whole coastal fishery, and that they should be protected from commercial harvest. If you fish the Hudson for stripers, especially if you travel to get there, stay in a hotel, or fish with a guide, please be sure to point this out in your communication. The economic benefits are key rationale for this bill.

Here are the e-mail links that you will need:
•For NY residents to find their State Senator: http://www.nysenate.gov/

•To find the members of the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee: http://www.nysenate.gov/committee/en...l-conservation

Be aware that a handful of shad gill netters on the Hudson are clamoring to be allowed to net stripers now that the shad are gone. They have their supporters; we must make sure that this additional pressure is not put on the already struggling striped bass population. With the fishing pressure and disease issues that persist in the Chesapeake Bay striper stocks, we can’t allow the Hudson to go back to the commercial striper fishing that nearly wiped it out more than 30 years ago.

NY residents, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to your senator. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Your letters to senators on the Committee can be essentially the same except for not saying that you live in their district.

Dear Senator (name):

My name is (your name) and I live in your district in the town of ( your town).
The future of striped bass is very important to me. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. The fishery has been closed to commercial fishing since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under intense fishing pressure in the ocean. Striped bass support a robust recreational fishery that is very valuable to the economies of the towns from Troy to Manhattan. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,
Your Name, Town, State
your e-mail address and phone number

For those residing outside of NY, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to members of the Environmental Conservation Committee. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Please try to send it to every member of the committee.

My name is (your name) and I live (town, state). I am writing to urge you to support S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the resumption of commercial fishing. The Hudson River is one of the major spawning areas for the migratory East coast striped bass stock. This is the most important recreational salt water species in America. Like all saltwater species, stripers are already threatened by intense fishing pressure and pollution. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. This fishery has been closed to commercial harvest since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under heavy fishing pressure in the ocean. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,
Your Name, Town, State
your e-mail address and phone number

Note – A copy of S4948 is available under General News on the Stripers Forever website - just Google up Stripers Forever. We are not including a link to try and keep our e-mails from being caught in spam filters.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM
SI Cruiser

Default Re: Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!!

I normally report under a different user name but in this situation I need to report under a different name.

If you want to know where all the Hudson River Stripers went I can tell you.

All the illegal immigrants in Jersey City take home every 14 to 28 inch striper they catch.

Will they ever sign up with NOAA? No
Will they ever abide by any law in the country? No
Will they ever learn to speak English? No

Also, do not trust Stripers Forever. They are a bunch of treehuggers looking to shut down the recreational fisherman. They will rip apart the commercial guys and try to come across as a friend to the recreational guy all on behalf of the striper. Just beware they want to make it a gamefish and limit recreational catches to just one fish.

Enough said!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Cruiser
I normally report under a different user name but in this situation I need to report under a different name.

All the illegal immigrants in Jersey City take home every 14 to 28 inch striper they catch.

Also, do not trust Stripers Forever. They are a bunch of treehuggers looking to shut down the recreational fisherman. They will rip apart the commercial guys and try to come across as a friend to the recreational guy all on behalf of the striper. Just beware they want to make it a gamefish and limit recreational catches to just one fish.

Enough said!
Why can't you use your own name are you not telling the truth??

When you can't put your name to it then is it the truth or???? Other agenda?

It to inform people not to tell people what to think!

I wish cat ron would respond to the post i know he speaks his true mind and words!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:

Enough said!
Looking at your past post i get the feeling you are one of the commercial guys?
And if you are what size fish do you keep?

No name ....
Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
SI Cruiser

I am 100% recreational.

I only keep legal fish and as I fish every week, I limit my keepers to only those which I plan on eating that week.

The reason for the pseudonym is to keep my professional association with a major firm free of any criticism.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM
SI Cruiser

I am sure that Captain Ron would be opposed to the Stripers Forever push to limit the recreational catch to one bass per day at a minimum much higher than 28 inches. It would put him out of business.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You should never have to post under a false name. Are you kidding me? Man up. Not that it really matters. A name like BlackSluggo isnt really going to let people know where you live.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[QUOTE=IdidntDoit]Now you know why the stripers were not in the bay last year. They never made it back from the Hudson river. But NY keeps uping the size limit.

This is something I did not even think was going on in NY effecting NJ waters.

I found the article a must read and thanks for posting I find it unbelievable that there is not more outrage. This is the second time in a week that I read on this site that a fishing organization is calling for the restriction or exclusion of a fishery just because they thinks so. No science no landing data......just call and write your politician to restrict fishing. Unreal. I will be going to Washington to protest less injustice against fisherman. Do you think our politicians may get a little confused when they get called by the same people and are asked to support a bill to close one fishery and then called the following week to fight to reopen seabass and if they dont they have lost your vote Things will improve for all when real science ,real landings, and real quotas are used to manage our fisheries. BTW The NY commercial season was originally closed due to pollution(PCB) and not overfishing.

Last edited by Fishguts; 01-30-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

Enough said!
I doubt that illegal immigrants are putting a massive dent in the population... not having access to boats limits their catch. On the rec side, years of killing 30-50# breeders is where the big damage happens - most guys catching those are fully legal and well equipped.

Stripers Forever agenda is just fine with me. Stripers are simply too valuable a resource to be a commercial food fish... commercial guys should find a market for sea robins and feel free to take all the pout you want.

On the rec side, there is absolutely no reason anybody needs to keep more than 1 bass a day. Putting the 36" minimum back up would help regain a little of the fish's mystique... we've managed them like they are panfish.

I feel bad that folks think a 28" fish is a STRIPED BASS... you haven't really experienced what it feels like to catch a striper until you've broke 40"s.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker
I doubt that illegal immigrants are putting a massive dent in the population... not having access to boats limits their catch. On the rec side, years of killing 30-50# breeders is where the big damage happens - most guys catching those are fully legal and well equipped.

Stripers Forever agenda is just fine with me. Stripers are simply too valuable a resource to be a commercial food fish... commercial guys should find a market for sea robins and feel free to take all the pout you want.

On the rec side, there is absolutely no reason anybody needs to keep more than 1 bass a day. Putting the 36" minimum back up would help regain a little of the fish's mystique... we've managed them like they are panfish.

I feel bad that folks think a 28" fish is a STRIPED BASS... you haven't really experienced what it feels like to catch a striper until you've broke 40"s.
i agree that stripers are a game fish.1 bass per day works for some people.i eat mine fresh so one fish is enough.now here is the problem.if the bass are 28 to30inches and i have a charter what do i do.how many charters can i book with a bag limit of 1?how about all of the party boats that make a living with school size stripers.the agenda of stripers forever in no way reflects the needs or the reality of the for hire industry.we do not need to harvest millions of bass but we need a reasonable bag limit to stay in bussines.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired