NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake George Next Week-Any Advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-28-2021, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Lake George Next Week-Any Advice

All-heading to Lake George with family next week and will be with my bass boat on lake for four days in the Sagamore area. Very experienced bass and pike angler but have not been to LG for 30 years! Will be looking mainly target SM/bass and take anything else that comes. I went back and read previous threads for help and will get to a bait shop up there also-but wanted to ask for SM/bass recommendations from the group. Any info will help, have electronics and a FHS map for reference. If anyone can give some current help on general areas/depth/tactics that would be appreciated. Also any B&T shop recommendations.
Greatly appreciated-
Old 07-28-2021, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lake George Next Week-Any Advice

just got back from my 2 week vacation up there. we stay on the north end near Hague..was able to pattern the greenies...the brownies were scattered in 20-30 fow around main lake structure and really only had decent action in low light conditions...ned rig and c-rigd stick bait got the better bites....natural colors are the ticket in that gin clear water (20+' visibility)

with Ann's being closed i don't think there are anymore bait shops in the area. fish307 is south of the lake in glens falls....

the bolton landing area is always a zoo with the boat traffic....definitely want to be fishing early and late...do something with the family mid day...you might be able to hide in the cove areas around the mother bunch of islands..

not sure what FHS map is but check out the Navionics map..lots of good looking stuff around Dome island...u can download the app to your phone and use on a trial basis.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...c_yhGp%7Cl%60M

good luck and post a report

Last edited by NJSquatch; 07-30-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Old 07-29-2021, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Get a crayfish trap, fish them on jigs for the smallmouth. They destroy the crayfish, their main forage.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Lake George Next Week-Any Advice

Whopper plopper at night. So much fun! The Smallies and LM move shallow and smash baitfish. It’s awesome.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Squatch and Yuma - thanks very much for the feedback . . . . will go after LM or SM whichever cooperates better for this trip - fun action is priority for myself and the kids - plenty of natural colored plastics avail and will force feed them topwater baits whenever possible -
I do put the kids on live bait sometimes and was going to look into if I can hang a trap off dock - if legal ? did not see a live bait shop directly on the lake when looking online
Old 07-29-2021, 02:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

re: bait
bring your own earth worms. get a diving mask and flip over rocks to catch the crayfish they are everywhere and easy to catch.

u need to get your boat inspected at one of the LG inspection stations in order to launch. I hit the one at the Adirondack Welcome Center. it is a super easy on/off of 87N. Norwal marina also has an inspection station

https://lgpc.ny.gov/inspection-station-locations
Old 07-29-2021, 10:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We take a guys trip every yr. 1st week +/- of June. We absolutely smash everything that swims in the bolton area. Greenbacks are in and around the docks and boat houses. The bronze backs are on the other side by the islands. In the rocks of course! We fight thru tons of dinks and some of the infamous lake G rockies. Our #1 thing to toss is without a doubt...1/8th ball jig with a pumpkin or watermelon tipped chartreuse tip 3inch stick bait. We were turned onto this sure thing by one of the local guides when we chartered him for the weekend. Buy the 3inch yum dinger value pack with the green chartreuse tip and catch em.
They might be a little deeper now so also try 3/16th jigs. We must have gone thru 20 bags easy in 3 days! The jigs with underspins are phenomenal too.
Post some pics of your trip when you return. Good old fish p0rn!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Also don’t forget your LG boat registration. You need to get a registration sticker to use your boat on the lake. I believe it was $20 for a 7 day pass. If you don’t have that sticker on your boat, you will get pulled over.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 07-30-2021, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Yes - aware of the LG Boat Registration/Inspection will do it at Norowal Marina prior to launch - thank you
Old 07-30-2021, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

anyone have experience charging boat on-board batt charger with portable generator while camping?