NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Water Gap - Proposed Entrance Fees - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-08-2019, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Water Gap - Proposed Entrance Fees

NPS is proposing a park entrance fee for all activites as part of the Visitor Use Management Plan update.

The proposed overall entrance fee would be $25 per car/$20 per motorcycle. A seven-day pass would be $15 per person. A seasonal pass would be $45.

More information
https://www.njherald.com/news/201910...erall-user-fee

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/documen...cumentID=99017

Map of the recreation area
https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Last edited by NJSquatch; 10-08-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 03:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Water Gap - Proposed Entrance Fees

How do they plan to enforce it? I could see how they can just set up pay-for-parking at certain lots. Not all of them and just some of the more touristy spots.
I dont see any other way to enforce it.

Doesnt sound like an evil thing to just pay people to park in the high traffic areas and put that money into more park maintenance, but if they go overboard and lock down the whole place it's ridiculous and I can see already this wont be respected.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for posting this 'Squatch. I was going to do so last night but I fell asleep.

The entire visitor use management proposal is available for viewing at the link Squatch posted. The public comment period is currently open but only comments made via their website or by phone are accepted, no email comments will be accepted.

Personally I don't see how they could enforce this on the NJ side of the river at least since there are both state WMA lands within the NP as well as a private campground. On the Pa side there's not much beyond Rt 209 and a few roads that come down to it, all of which could be gated and monitored.

Definitely a BS proposal IMHO.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

$25 a day is a pretty crazy price. I think a lot of people would go to cheaper places like Spruce Run or Round Valley if they had to pay that much.

Also, 20 more campsites? I love camping and giving more access to the area would be cool, but also 20 more places people can ruin with garbage...
Old 10-09-2019, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Also, 20 more campsites? I love camping and giving more access to the area would be cool, but also 20 more places people can ruin with garbage...
charging a fee will more than likely keep the POS riff raff away. I wouldn't be surprised if the locals are all for this... that place gets trashed every weekend in the summer...
Old 10-09-2019, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

As sportsmen we pay our hunting & fishing license fees but other outdoor activities such as hiking, photography, mountain biking, etc encounter no extra fees but they get to access the same areas. Maybe a reduced fee for licensed hunters & anglers. I know NJ was once thinking about a recreation permit for non-licensed hunters and anglers to use the WMAs. This makes sense to me, if the land is purchased and maintained through the license purchases then why should non-licensed activities benefit without contributing?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
As sportsmen we pay our hunting & fishing license fees but other outdoor activities such as hiking, photography, mountain biking, etc encounter no extra fees but they get to access the same areas. Maybe a reduced fee for licensed hunters & anglers. I know NJ was once thinking about a recreation permit for non-licensed hunters and anglers to use the WMAs. This makes sense to me, if the land is purchased and maintained through the license purchases then why should non-licensed activities benefit without contributing?
Agreed. i'm tired of paying my license fees to fish on WMA and NPS land in NJ while others get to use (and abuse) them for free.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
The issue here is that this is Federal property. I would imagine they are going to get a lot of push back from the hunting and fishing community.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
The issue here is that this is Federal property. I would imagine they are going to get a lot of push back from the hunting and fishing community.
But isn't the Flatbrook WMA enclosed in that area too?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:40 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I think the movie goodfellas had it right, "business is slow, fu** you pay me, the building got struck by lightning, fu** you pay me, Oh you want to fish in nj, fu** you, pay me twice!!!!