NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bottom painting - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-20-2023, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Bottom painting

Bought a 2020 SH boat last and after a long winter I’m ready to get her back in her slip after I bottom paint it. I keep the boat in Barnegat Light and the water there is much different then Raritan Bay. I have a single season Sea Hawk ablative paint on their now from the previous marina and looking to put a multi-season paint on there. Seems like everyone has their own opinion on paint and I’m looking at Sea Hawk Cukote, Interlux CSC and also West Marine brand (Petit just with West Marine branding). I’ve been told 2 coats of paint but then the maintenance guy at my marina says 1 is enough since it is going over a previous base. Any thoughts on this and what have your experiences been? Boat is a 25 ft SH center console. Would a gallon be enough for one coat?
Old 03-20-2023, 11:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Bottom painting

I have a Robalo R200 (20'-7" LOA) and tried one coat of TotalBoat Spartan multi-season paint, over existing paint, near the end of the 2021 season and went the entirety of the 2022 season (April-November) without re-coating. When I pulled the boat in November there was no growth. I plan to touch it up this Spring before launching and then re-coat nearer the end of this season. So far, I'm very happy with this paint. It's pricey, but think it's worth it.
One quart did my entire bottom (w/transom), with about 1/8th left over, so I would think two quarts would be enough for your SH, likely with some leftover, for touch ups the following season.

Last edited by TwoDDs; 03-20-2023 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Wrong year
Old 03-21-2023, 08:43 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

We've been using the West Marine Multi Season paint in the Raritan Bay area for several years now and it's held up well. The only thing we do is touch up the areas where the paint has worn through. A gallon should be enough to do your boat twice. We've used Interlux CSC with similar results.

If you decide to give it 2 coats you might want to use 2 different colors. Once you see the bottom color coming through it will be obvious when and where you'll need to touch up.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-21-2023, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks, I think I'll give the West Marine multi-season paint a try this year and see how it holds up when I pull the boat in December.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ive used petit HRT now for a couple seasons and its been very good. Pulling in December last year, there was only slime and very minimal growth of anything else on the bottom. Easy to apply and easy cleanup.

32ft SeaCraft Master Angler • "Avery Lynn"
WYLD G.F.I. Fishing Team

Sandy Hook Bay Anglers & Instagram
Old 03-23-2023, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I used all the seahawk products. Barrier then the Cucote, alternating colors base blue then 2 black. It has preformed well. That was about 5 years ago. I did a quick coat 2 seasons ago but it really didn't need it. I keep it in the Squan so similar water to what you're going to. Good luck. FH