NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Delaware river float trip 10/12 report and MORE: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Delaware river float trip 10/12 report and MORE:

Met Wilson in Hancock N.Y. at the Smiths Colonial Motel Thursday evening, great place to stay with the Big D. right behind the motel. 2nd stop, Circle E diner in town, never a bad meal there. Back to the motel after dinner where we saw our first bald eagle and after the sun went down we got a good look at the space station fly over in a star filled sky.
Floated Friday from Long Eddy to Calicoon. Had some brutal weather after a streamside lunch, rain squalls and 25 knot wind but we kept at it. Wilson and I got over 30 fish to net on a 9 hour float. Cookie cutter 15” smallmouth, brown trout and rainbow trout. We picked away the entire trip, had one long hour lull but for the most part we were putting a bend in the rod. Wilson banged 2 really nice rainbows around 19”, one from the boat and one when we took a break to do some wading. I dropped my 2 big rainbows. One hit with 5 feet of line out and went ballistic and the other hit and thought it was a tarpon. These fish should come with a warning label that says “EXPLOSIVE!” Saw one other bald eagle while floating and a school of gizzard shad also. I managed one Pine Barrens slime dart and we only got a glimpse of a walleye that followed Wilson’s lure. Worked the big fast water for trout and deep dropped for walleye in the slow areas. I think Wilson got bit off twice, go figure. Back to the Circle E diner again for a good hot meal, my arm was sore, never stopped throwing the entire float trip.
Saturday morning we got a slow start, outside temp was around 25*. We headed for Roscoe N.Y. a.k.a. Trout Town U.S.A., first stop, The Roscoe diner. We by passed Junction pool and went right down to Cairns pool where Wilson started us off with a real nice chunky brown trout and I quickly followed with 2 of my own. Water was gin clear and no other fishermen in sight. We be-bopped our way along the Beaverkill with most stops producing at least a fish or two. We stopped at Sunoco pool and it was like a hatchery back there with as many as 5 to 6 twelve inch trout following our lures right to the bank. Here is where I made up for the big rainbows I dropped on the float trip by tagging 2 really nice ones, fat and chunky over 17”. One last stop down by where the East Branch comes in and I scored another big fat rainbow. I went to another spot on the East Branch and Wilson peeled off for home. No love on the East Branch and I made my way back to Hancock where I hit a spot on the West Branch and found no love there either. Started to see some guys fishing on the lower East Branch.
Could have stuck it out a third day but I was finally all fished out. Water levels are way, way low,and actually had to get out and push the drift boat at on point on Friday during our float.
Anyone thinking of heading up there remember trout fishing closes October 15th on the East and West branch but fishing remains open on the main stem. Need any info don’t be afraid to ask, great place to go fishing.

Last edited by AndyS; 10-13-2012 at 08:41 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Old Soft Salt

Default Re: Delaware river float trip 10/12 report and MORE:

The view from the back door at Smith's.

I did not take many pictures of the fish on this trip due to snotty weather for most of the day, and because I'm lazy

Here's a couple.

Some Beaverkill shots, a much better weather day!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great scenery, and fish!!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sounds like a great trip
Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Andy,

Where'd you get the sweatshirt?

nevermind- http://www.cafepress.com/njfishing
Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Delaware river float trip 10/12 report and MORE:

Good job.Got to love the Big D sweet pics.NIce place to fish had some good times in calicoon
Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Delaware river float trip 10/12 report and MORE:

AWESOME report and great pix. Good job anglers. That's good water out there , so scenic and quiet. GODS COUNTRY!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

nice report... looks like it was worth stickin it out in the nippy weather
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Beautiful pictures!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Very nice.....Thats what rainbows should look like....The fish up in that neck of the woods is the main reason that i rarely fish fer jersey stockies....Quality(not size) is always better than quantity....in my book anyways....

Way to git it done guys....
I know you guys were spin fishin but was there any bug activity??
Cloudy , snotty days up there can usually yield some of the thickest bwo hatches....Just curious....Water temps?