NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Summer Rainbows - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-25-2021, 12:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Summer Rainbows

The welcomed cool weather over the last two days got me to try one more day of trout fishing. The Musky seemed to be running better than the other streams so I headed back to where I left the trout biting a month ago. After beating down the tall weeds in the now overgrown path to the stream, I was happy to find the stream was in great shape and the trout were still there.

This particular spot is no secret but it is off the beaten track. While I only saw one fish slap at a surface bug, I tied on my go-to Musky size 16 beadhead scud and was rewarded on my second cast when my line came tight on a very healthy rainbow. I continued to take fish through the deep run over the next :45 minutes.

I never had a panfish nor did I see much grass growing in that stretch. All of the trout had apparently been eating well since they were feisty and fat. This particular spot was back in the woods, in the shade, with a moderate flow through a four foot deep run. The trout loved it and decided to hang around there for the last month and a half.

I hopscotched around to other more accessible spots through Warren County but the pools and runs close to the road had few fish but I did manage at least one in each spot. I’m done for now because the grass will take over soon and the water will warm. For a day this late in the season, I was very happy with the results.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Summer Rainbows

If you still feel the urge to trout fish in the streams, have a few spots in mind for a plan "A", "B", "C" etc. The popular spots near the roads have been pounded throughout the spring and the river levels have dropped. Some of the deeper spring pools, riffles, runs etc. are not as deep anymore and the fish have had to find other holding/feeding lanes close to or under cover. Some of those places might be tight to the bank making your presentations difficult. Be prepared to search out the deepest runs with the most cover and flow especially if you are fishing during late morning or middle of the day. Some of those spots might be much farther downstream or upstream from where you usually fish.

If you are able to get out later in the day.........early evening..........go to the streams and look for surface feeding activity. It might be an eye-opener when you see fish rising in what was a barren, fishless area during the day. Once you can find the spots where they live, you can make plans for later.

I never expected to catch as many trout as I did today and would have been happy for one or two. The spot where I causht most of the trout was a spot I've been visiting since I was a kid. It pays to know the stream and to have a few other spots to try if the first ones don't play out. Sometimes it might just be one short twenty foot stretch or just one spot near a log or boulder.

It's a great time of the year to get out and explore. Wet wade with a pair of old sneakers or wading boots and cut offs. If you find a deep run now, it will be a great place ot check out next spring or fall when it will get deeper and probably hold more fish.

Be careful where you reach when you are wading. That branch you grab might have a vistor that can get you scrambling in a hurry. The paths along the banks will probably be over grown with many more thorns than you remembered from the spring although there may be some very tasty berries along the path too.

Pick a nice day and be a kid again! Get out and fish/explore and enjoy the resources and maybe catch a fish or two along the way.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Summer Rainbows

deep seems to always work. Found em recently under deep holes with log jams with also plenty of current coming through on the side.

Also whereever there's a lot of bubbles coming down from an upstream riffle. and a deep enough cut in the river bottom.

They surprisingly hit aggressive too but best to keep it small i think, i was using 1 inch bluegill lures