NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The ice is taking a beating - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-19-2022, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default The ice is taking a beating

I went out on the cong today and found the ice at my first spot was not in good shape. the rains and warm temps have taken a toll on the ice. The shores are rotted about 2ft out . the ice eaters and the open spots that the birds are keeping open have gotten much bigger making it not safe to go out. Off to spot #2 and the ice there was in much better shape, it was 7" and in a sheltered cove that froze before the main lake. The shores were good on one side but not the sunny side where the rot has started. lets hope that the next couple of nights of cold temps will slow down the rot and you can get on. I was able to get 1 largemouth, 1 crappie, 1 perch and 14 sunnies fishing in shallow water. I hope we can get a couple more days out before the dreaded ice out period starts. I am at 26 days today and would like to at least get 30 days in this season, a short season is better than no season. DEFINITELY USE A SPUD BAR AS YOU GO IF YOU ARE NOT SURE HOW THE ICE FORMED. there are a bunch of cracks and fissures that are getting sketchy to say the least. please be careful if you go.. Farther north you go the better the chances are the ice is in better condition. I included two photos of the bigger fish from today. the perch and sunnies were small ones. all fish were jigged up and still swimming in the big pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220219_090701.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	155987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220219_173213.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	155988  
Old 02-19-2022, 08:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: The ice is taking a beating

Great report Badger.
I drove to 2 local ponds to find unsafe ice. The shorelines took a massive beating. 3rd spot... launch shaded by trees I guess.. out of the sunlight... nice thick ice. The center of the lake was solid black 5. Unfortunately only got an hour in after 3pm. The 30mph gust and squalls were making it impossible. Be careful out 2moro and going forward. Spud spud spud.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Arrow Re: The ice is taking a beating

This weeks forecast could have the fat lady singing, warm temps and rain. Not too bad considering it is almost March, at least there was ice this year for most of the winter.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: The ice is taking a beating

Way to make the fish bite Badger. It’s definitely getting bad but it was an ok season. The wind kept certain spots open which is unfortunate for the club. My son was looking forward to the contests there. Hopefully next year. Great Bass and Crappie man!