NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Outing on the Musky and KLG. 4/29 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Trout Outing on the Musky and KLG. 4/29

For my first outing of the year I started out about 7:30 at Stephen's State Park. I hooked up within the first half hour with a small brookie (maybe 10''). If I knew that was my only fish for the day I probably would have went home. I did have a few nibbles after that, but nothing landed. I saw about 3 fish being caught around me throughout the morning. I think my biggest accomplishment was not losing any lures at SSP. I lasted until 10:30 and decided to try the KLG...never been there before.

The KLG wasn't terribly crowded...lots of flyguys. I saw 1 fish landed by a father/son group and released. After walking up and down the gorge, I got to a large pool in the middle. The trout were feeding off the top of the water all around me. Worse yet, I could see them within 7 feet of me and couldn't get them to bite. Had a few follows and nibbles, nothing landed.

Lessons learned and Questions.
1. bring bug spray
2. does anyone float flies with a spinner rig? would that have worked better to get the trout to bite on top of the water?
3. After passing on the IHOP in favor of a diner between SSP and KLG and realizing...there ain't nothing but horse farms between the two.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Trout Outing on the Musky and KLG. 4/29

Used to use flies while spin fishing before I started fly fishing - you can pick up a fly bubble, or fly bobber. They come in several sizes and, basically, are in-line clear bobbers that have a small valve that allows you to fill the bubble partially with water for casting weight. You attach one end to your mono add a tippet ~ 20" or so, then your fly.

Add some floatant if you're trying to fish a surface fly. Works OK - but usually not as effctive as fly rod/fly line setup. Saved the day a few times when they were rising but ignoring everything else I threw.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbo
Used to use flies while spin fishing before I started fly fishing - you can pick up a fly bubble, or fly bobber. They come in several sizes and, basically, are in-line clear bobbers that have a small valve that allows you to fill the bubble partially with water for casting weight. You attach one end to your mono add a tippet ~ 20" or so, then your fly.

Add some floatant if you're trying to fish a surface fly. Works OK - but usually not as effctive as fly rod/fly line setup. Saved the day a few times when they were rising but ignoring everything else I threw.

Good luck

Ditto
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great Report! Are they working on the road inside the gorge yet?? How was the parking??
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM
NJFishing.com Member

the road is still closed inside the gorge. It was tough walking for a bit. I saw some bike riders actually ride across it...not sure I'd try that.

I got lucky with parking. I cam in from the north over that 1 lane bridge and there was parking for about 6 cars or so. I don't know if there's additional parking from the south.