NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Raritan River 4/28/12 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Raritan River 4/28/12

I met up with Wilson in the morning to try my old stomping grounds on the Raritan River. The first spot we hit was a can't-miss stretch on the South Branch, tucked away at the end of a dirt road. Well, long story short, my can't-miss spot missed, and we left with nothing for our efforts. We stopped quickly at a bridge further upstream, but decided not to even try as the water was too low and there were several anglers already there. We decided to move on to the main stem and fish the only spot I knew there was plenty of water: Duke Island falls.

We parked by the maintenance facility and saw a bunch of guys carp fishing above the dam. One guy hooked up but the fish took him into a log jam, and he couldn't get the fish out (even with the ~20 lb. line he was using). We found the falls to be devoid of fishermen, so we started casting. We found a small pod of fish toward the middle of the river, which we reached chucking heavy metal; me a kastmaster, Wilson a big PM. I got two small rainbows, Wilson got a rainbow and a very nice ~16 inch brookie. After about an hour and a half there we got some breakfast at a local diner and planned our next move.

We made our way to the North Branch in Far Hills, as I had some decent luck there a couple weeks back. Immediately we saw trout from the bridge, and about half a dozen guys crowded around them. Predictably, though, there was not a soul downstream from the bridge, which is where we headed. Wilson found a pool where the fish were stacked up, and caught four rainbows fast on a spinner before throwing me a bone and letting me catch one. We continued downstream but couldn't find any big concentrations of fish. Wilson caught two more rainbows, including a nice ~16 inch specimen on a crawler.

On the way back up river we stopped by our little honey hole again, and Wilson proceeds to mop up with worms what he missed before on spinners. He tallied another three or four rainbows. I managed a couple of sunfish and a dink smallmouth on a trout magnet (why are they called "trout magnets" when they catch everything but trout?). By the time we made it back to the bridge most of the crowd had left, so we made a few more casts there but couldn't hook up with any of the numerous trout holding there.

I think it's safe to say that the effects of the rain that supercharged the trout earlier this week have worn off. The river is as low as it's ever been, and the ultra-clear water (coupled with today's bright, cloudless sky) made the fish extra wary. Most of them were in the shade holding tight to the bottom, or in the deepest pools. Lots and lots of fish in the water, but they were not active. At least not in the middle of the day. Despite that, it was a gorgeous day to be out fishing and a fun time was had by all.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Raritan River 4/28/12

Nice job on a beautiful day fellas. Good trouting had by all!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Old Soft Salt

Default Re: Raritan River 4/28/12

Thanks for the invite and the Trout Magnet demonstration
Guess lake fishing is on tap if we don't get anymore rain.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

how were you guys fishing the trout magnets? i find them real effective for trout when suspended under a float. the trout magnet indicator style floats are too small though IMO so i use a weighted cylinder bobber. with that there is enough heft to cast that little jig wherever you want it in the river. then it's just twitch, twitch, wait, set the hook, repeat.

last weekend on the wanaque i was using it and it got me mugged because i was landing CC rainbows every cast
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Old Soft Salt

Ahhhh mug magnets, now I get it

Cast and jig, no bobber. That bobber style of fishing may not be so easy to do in a river.

Last edited by Wilson; 04-30-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I got out at Duke Island for a bit yesterday morning. Only managed one bite on the day using a few different lures. Another guy there using Powerbait must have brought in 8 rainbows in about a half an hour.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz
I got out at Duke Island for a bit yesterday morning. Only managed one bite on the day using a few different lures. Another guy there using Powerbait must have brought in 8 rainbows in about a half an hour.
Sometimes when you bait and wait, you don't wait too long
Yesterday with the low water and bluebird sky the fish were on the bottom, so drifting bait along the bottom worked quite well.
Did you try up by the falls?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

No vid?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
Sometimes when you bait and wait, you don't wait too long
Yesterday with the low water and bluebird sky the fish were on the bottom, so drifting bait along the bottom worked quite well.
Did you try up by the falls?
I tried bouncing some lures off the bottom but nothing doing. I was using bigger lures though hoping more for another big smallie instead of stockies.

I only went out in the area where we started out for opening day, I didn't have much time so just a hop in and a hop out.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucker
No vid?
Not this time. It wouldn't have been very exciting anyway.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube