NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Adirondack Pike Bass and Brookies - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-30-2020, 09:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Post Adirondack Pike Bass and Brookies

Two weeks ago, Luke and I left home early Saturday morning and headed north for a camping and fishing trip at one of my favorite lakes. After a quick stop in Lake George to grab some lunch and break the ice by catching a few panfish and smallies off of a dock, we finished up the 6 hour drive and started packing all of our gear into the canoe to make the trip to the island we’d be spending the next 5 days on. Despite the canoe being loaded down with gear, we couldn’t help but make a few casts on the way to the island. Within 5 minutes of leaving the dock, I hook into a solid pike on one of my homemade baits. Since there was so much stuff piled up in the canoe, Luke couldn’t turn around to snap a pic, but two guys who were watching us net the fish came over to check it out and take a picture for us.

We spent the next three days fishing the lake. Here’s the view from our campsite during the day and in the morning.

It seemed like the cold snap with nightly lows of 20 had the pike going nuts, but the bass fishing, which is usually great, was very slow the first two days. Here are some of the better pike we got. Luke caught two the same size, but they were so fired up that they both jumped clear out of the net.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Adirondack Pike Bass and Brookies

On the third day, we fished deeper water and managed to find a bunch of nice bass feeding on schools of bait.

We decided to change things up on day 4 and hit a wild trout stream. We trolled our way across the lake, picking off some small mouth and then drove to the nearby river that we picked. The water in the river was super low and clear. We saw some nice trout, had a few follows and lost one small brown. What the river lacked in action it definitely made up for in views. Can you spot Luke in the second pic?

On our last day, we had planned to fish a lake known to have splake but made a last-minute decision to fish a pond located on top of a nearby mountain. Luke and I made the hike up the trail, carrying both the canoe and gear to the top of the mountain. Despite how tough the hike was, the views and the fish made it completely worth it.

Last edited by NickM221; 09-30-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Old 09-30-2020, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gr8 report!!! Sounds like alota fun
Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

that was my favorite vacation spent ! you took some great pictures of the scenery, thanks for creating the post
Old 09-30-2020, 12:18 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great report and awesome photos. Thanks for sharing them here!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

just two bros camping and fishing alone in the wilderness.... i feel like the title of this post should be 'brokeback mountain fishing' sorry had to do it! HAHAHA

but that looks like a seriously awesome trip... maybe a three way next time?
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 09-30-2020, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Adirondack Pike Bass and Brookies

I fished the Ausable about 6 years ago in June, strange stuff. Got out of the car and started fishing, thought the gnats were very rude. Drove to another spot on the river, man the gnats suck, now I have a wet t-shirt on my head. Fished yet another spot, could barely stand it, got back to car and started peeling the bugs from under my skin and the blood was dripping down my face. This was my first and last experience fishing the Adirondacks, the BLACK FLIES were insane !!
Glad you had a great time, I think Crisper is just jealous
Old 09-30-2020, 03:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Do NOT go in June.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I fished the Ausable about 6 years ago in June, strange stuff. Got out of the car and started fishing, thought the gnats were very rude. Drove to another spot on the river, man the gnats suck, now I have a wet t-shirt on my head. Fished yet another spot, could barely stand it, got back to car and started peeling the bugs from under my skin and the blood was dripping down my face. This was my first and last experience fishing the Adirondacks, the BLACK FLIES were insane !!
Glad you had a great time, I think Crisper is just jealous
Ausable was suprisingly pressured, even for a Tuesday, after labor day, after a cold weekend. We saw guys fishing in most spots.

Water looked lower than normal too. despite it we had few hits but from small trout.

I'll stay away from June... i dont wanna wear a beekeeper suit while fishing
Old 09-30-2020, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
just two bros camping and fishing alone in the wilderness.... i feel like the title of this post should be 'brokeback mountain fishing' sorry had to do it! HAHAHA

but that looks like a seriously awesome trip... maybe a three way next time?
LOL

Yes as long as you bring the boat.

The canoe could only hold so much gear; had to do two trips between the campsite on the lake to the boat launch.

Not too bad tho since we caught fish on both shipments