NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Peddie Lake 8/10 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Peddie Lake 8/10

Haven't been catching much lately, and been catching as many turtles as fish, , only getting out an hour here and there, but last night the kids finally said yes when i asked them if they wanted to go.

Peddie lake butts up against main st in Hightstown and is 5 mins from home and was my choice because when the kids are in tow, i spend more time untangling lines or clearing snags than actually fishing, and i figured i'd put out a rod for carp and one for catfish while i bounced between kids.

My 7 yo son threw a fit when i gave him a rod with a bobber and worm, and as i tried to explain to him i needed a sunny for catfish bait, the bobber went under 2 seconds after hitting the water on the first cast,

as he was still objecting, My 11 yo daughter, who got her own rod a month earlier for her birthday, caught her first LMB which was 12" on her 4th cast using a small kastmaster spoon. That makes 2 kids this summer getting their first LMB.

To placate the boy, i tied on a rebel grasshopper lure, that i didn't care if he lost in the overhanging trees, and he managed to catch a tiny (8") bass on his 2nd cast (3rd if you count the one in the tree) . Of course he told everyone today that he caught a 20 incher.

Unfortunately, we only caught a few more sunfish and neither of my bait rods had a nibble.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:03 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Peddie Lake 8/10

You can tell your son is a true angler when an 8inch bass becomes a 20 inch bass by the time he gets home. As we get older it just takes a little longer it goes from 8 to 12 to 16 over the next few days. Enjoy it I remember every first specie my son caught he started at 3yrs old he is now 29
Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

great job getting them out there Dad.it not always about the catching
Old 08-13-2016, 06:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Connecting kids to fishing, connects you in turn like nothing else can. Nice anecdote, and I've never fished Peddie Lake, even though it was pretty close to home in Lawrence, growing up.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Went back tonight without the kids to scout the trail that goes along the back of the lake opposite of the Peddie School in hopes of decent access points from the bank but there were only a few. Probably could have picked a cooler night for the hike.

Having seen the wacky rig senko thread earlier today, I decided to give it a try again - only used senkos once earlier this year which i also tried wacky. Caught 2 small (13",9") LMB on it and think I'll not be as hesitant to use them going forward.