NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat / Trailer with no paperwork?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Boat / Trailer with no paperwork??

Ive been looking for a little fishing boat project for summer and I stumbled across a 14' boat & trailer with no titles on either.

I live in Hopatcong. To my understanding, I would have to take it down to the marine police (right over by jefferson lumber?), have them inspect it (run the vin), then they give me something to bring to DMV where I can get a title on the spot. It sounds kind of easy buy a lot of people have said its a pain.

Do you think its worth it or should I keep looking for something with paperwork? I am trying to score something for under a grand, and a deal I found is pretty darn cheap. I don't mind putting some money into something, I just dont want to buy a stolen boat.

Oh and I am clueless on how I go about registering a trailer with no title. Any help? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Boat / Trailer with no paperwork??

Is/was it registered? If so you only need to fill out a form and take it to the DMV and they will issue title.

I bought a boat last year and there was no title, but it had been registered. I told the seller no title, no deal. I did a little googling, found a form he needed to fill out and he had a title the next day.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Boat / Trailer with no paperwork??

Grr.. The boat sold. I tried to hold off until Monday so I could of gotten a notarized bill of sale. I guess the early bird gets the worm. Ill continue to look, thanks for the help