NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hackensack Float - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-22-2021, 10:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Hackensack Float

It was roughly 15 years since I last paddled the Hackensack River and I was itching to see the marsh around Mill Creek. Why was it so long since my last Hacky paddle? Simply because the last time I hit the river the water was absolutely disgusting— it had a strange odor in places and there was a sheen of what appeared to be oil on the water’s surface. Whether it was a chemical discharge or sewer discharge, I don’t know, but it was the sort of experience that makes you hose off in the backyard before you take a shower and then keeps you away for a decade plus!

Anyway, I hit the river for the last two hours of incoming and paddled into the marsh. The water wasn’t clear, but was surprisingly clean. There was vibrantly green weed growth, lots of bait, and tons of birds including those that eat fish. All good signs, but after two hours of paddling and casting a white mister twister on a light jig head around the creek mouth and current seams I had nothing to show for it other than one follow from a white perch. I had planned to continue fishing the first two hours of the outgoing and hoped to hit a few perch and maybe even a striper, but with the wind picking up and joining the outgoing tide in addition to the current it was too much moving water to feel comfortable anchoring the yak. Does anyone on here fish the Hacky from a yak have any advice for dealing with that current?

So, no fish, but surprisingly clean and a nice paddle. I could see the bugs getting brutal back there later in the year though. It’s also very easy to get lost back in that marsh without a phone(GPS).
Old 05-24-2021, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Hackensack Float

Sounds like a great paddle and a great day on the water to me !! Exploring new waters and trying to catch a fish or two.......catching is the best part.... besides being on the water and finding a new "best spot ever"........Congrats on a great exploration !!
Old 05-25-2021, 11:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sounds like a cool float...amazing all the life you can find when the water quality is good
Old 05-27-2021, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lots of life in the Hack for sure. I've have kayaked it from Oradell Dam down to the Turnpike bridge at Laurel Hill Park. Lots of white perch and schoolies downstream, while upstream skinnier water has bass, panfish, etc.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 05-28-2021, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
Lots of life in the Hack for sure. I've have kayaked it from Oradell Dam down to the Turnpike bridge at Laurel Hill Park. Lots of white perch and schoolies downstream, while upstream skinnier water has bass, panfish, etc.
Thanks for the info Skunk, that will give me a better idea of what fish to target in different parts of the river, for sure!
Old 05-28-2021, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgdan View Post
Sounds like a great paddle and a great day on the water to me !! Exploring new waters and trying to catch a fish or two.......catching is the best part.... besides being on the water and finding a new "best spot ever"........Congrats on a great exploration !!
Thanks Dan, and yes, to me, the exploration of a new spot is right up there with the catching.