NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

North Jersey Newbie - Where To Go (Trout)? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default North Jersey Newbie - Where To Go (Trout)?

Have never fished north of the Rt 78 area from Essex County west to Lockwood Gorge and the Musconetcong south of Hackettstown.

Tomorrow plan to go north of Rt 80 for the first time.....suggestions ? And with water levels lower, please advise if I'd need waders or just boots in your suggested spots.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: North Jersey Newbie - Where To Go (Trout)?

Throw a dart at a map of north jersey and you'll be close to a river that has em! Theres a couple major rivers up there that you could try out, and if you get skunked the scenery is still worth the drive. Waders are a must in most spots even with the water low, unless you're fishing some real skinny water or don't mind wet wading (and with these temps, it might be the better option ).

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you do!
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Am terrible at darts....I'd end up in New Hampshire. Looked on a map. Ramapo river have trout left ? And is it scenic (assuming skunk) ?

Or am I better off northwest in Sussex County ?

Never fished in either area....or anywhere north of Hackettstown (Point Mountain actually).
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Stephen's state park
Old 05-20-2021, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's so warm you dont need waders and can opt to wet wade, but with low clear water (when was the last good rain we had? Isnt it spring?!) and warming water temps it might be hard finding trout.

Id actually opt to the main stem of the raritan which has no shortage of water + trout all over it right now.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGrant View Post
Have never fished north of the Rt 78 area from Essex County west to Lockwood Gorge and the Musconetcong south of Hackettstown.

Tomorrow plan to go north of Rt 80 for the first time.....suggestions ? And with water levels lower, please advise if I'd need waders or just boots in your suggested spots.
There’s a good amount at the klg, looks like they’re biting on dry flies only though.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just got back from wanaque river. Caught plenty. Ramapo, saddle river, hohokus brook will still have some.
Tight lines and good luck!
Old 05-27-2021, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Well, the above "Stephens State Park" advice was great. The trout bite was on, and the insect bite was outrageous. I didn't notice or feel at the time, but next day I looked like I had chicken pox.

What's next ? Still haven't ever ventured north of Rt 80. New suggestions for water that still have trout ?
Old 05-27-2021, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGrant View Post
Well, the above "Stephens State Park" advice was great. The trout bite was on, and the insect bite was outrageous. I didn't notice or feel at the time, but next day I looked like I had chicken pox.

What's next ? Still haven't ever ventured north of Rt 80. New suggestions for water that still have trout ?
there's a lot of good trout water below rt 80, most of the delaware tributaries in that area are similar if you wanna check any of those out. You could also go wild and hit up the PA/NY streams
Old 05-27-2021, 02:18 PM
NJFishing.com Member

i want to venture north of Rt 80 simply because that would be a new thing for me. and, are fishing licenses reciprocal betw NJ and PA/NY ?