NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

RV Lake Trout Question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-22-2017, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default RV Lake Trout Question

I've heard and read that "they" (RV "association"?) encourage people to keep their limit of lake trout. First, is this true? And second...if true, why? I thought lake trout is the only naturally reproducing trout in the lake. Is it for promoting bigger/trophy fish?

I've been out of the loop on freshwater fishing, and know next to nothing about lake trout.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: RV Lake Trout Question

NJF&W:For 2012 the lake trout size and creel limit has been raised as a measure to increase the viability of trophy lake trout.

This did not come from Round Valley Trout Association.

The increase in creel limit was due to the amount of small lake trout.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: RV Lake Trout Question

The lakers are thick at RV, our group stock minnows that get eaten by the Lakers also. The weight of the fish has been increasing slowly since the baitfish have been getting added, there rarely a day if I go trolling that I don’t catch a lot of lakers.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thin the herd essentially. Too much pressure on forage base there with the large number of Lakers. Dent the population and decrease competition for food. In essence, grow trophy fish.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedane View Post
The lakers are thick at RV, our group stock minnows that get eaten by the Lakers also. The weight of the fish has been increasing slowly since the baitfish have been getting added, there rarely a day if I go trolling that I don’t catch a lot of lakers.
Not that im against stocking minnows, but how does that process work, out of curiosity? I figure you have to raise a lot of fish and frequently.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NJ Trophy Trout Reservoir! Pristine water! Deep! Many, many Lakers caught year round! Unfortunately it’s hard to get a fish over 5 lbs in said trophy reservoir! Lakers took over a while ago and the place can’t recover! Cookie cutter central unless you get lucky and catch the state record. On another note the Eels, Rock Bass, Perch and Lm are huge in there if you can find them. Hahahaha!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 12:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Some great info, thanks guys! I'm editing a video from a couple of sessions off RVR, wanted to get correct info for the narration.

PS. did not mention the name or showed the ramp. I'm sure guys who fish there will know instantly but we weren't near either tower.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Not that im against stocking minnows, but how does that process work, out of curiosity? I figure you have to raise a lot of fish and frequently.
Not sure on exact numbers but the club will buy 500,000 and I think it’s Hackettstown where the hatchery is. They keep them in their ponds or tanks and raise them until they grow up, then we get them delivered. The hatchery does this for us for free which cuts down on the costs. This is just one of the things the club does to enhance the fishery, I’m just a regular member so if I made any mistakes my bad. Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2017, 11:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedane View Post
Not sure on exact numbers but the club will buy 500,000 and I think it’s Hackettstown where the hatchery is. They keep them in their ponds or tanks and raise them until they grow up, then we get them delivered. The hatchery does this for us for free which cuts down on the costs. This is just one of the things the club does to enhance the fishery, I’m just a regular member so if I made any mistakes my bad. Merry Christmas
Oh I see. Dont know why I didnt think of a hatchery supplying the minnows. Any idea when they stock them? Would be amazing to see.

Thanks for the info, 'n merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unlike herring, shiners will reproduce a bunch of times per year especially in ideal conditions. With the lack of phytoplankton and other microinvertabrates in the gin clear waters of RVR plus the ravenous appetites of lake trout, herring populations struggle. Supplementing with shiners is a logical option.

Any feedback or insights on how the shiner stockings are working out?