NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

looking for shore fishing spots in Northern NJ - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: looking for shore fishing spots in Northern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitgrad View Post
I just got back from a lunch break in which I scouted Scarlet Oak Pond. It has pretty good access so we'll give it a shot. Also stopped in the parking lot for Ramapo Lake on the way back to work. Is Lake Tamarack across the street private property? The no trespassing signs seem to imply it is though there is a marked walking trail just to the left of the gravel road.
Tamarack is a private Boy Scout Camp. Fished it when I was a Boy Scout, caught some bass.

You can get down to Ramapo Lake by walking down the gated-off road across the street from Tamarack, but it will take you longer to get to lake. The parking lot I use is right on the left of Skyline if you're coming off 287 going towards Oakland. If you're coming from Tamarck, it will be on the right side of the road at the bottom of the hill. Drive slow and you can't miss it. From there it's a 20-minute hike, I think, it's been awhile.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Aaahhh, I remember when the exploration in finding spots was just part of fishing.

Without bringing more people to these spots already mentioned, I'd say jump on Google maps or Earth to find the GOOD spots you won't hear about. The best public largemouth fishery has never even been mentioned on any of these threads.. for a reason.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Was thinking of giving that a shot or Lake Tamarack on the other side of Skyline. Have you ever tried it?
I've never fished Lake Tamarack. It might be good, it looks very "bassy". It gets about zero fishing pressure, but it is choked with lily pads near shore so you have to choose your spots. Same for nearby Todd Lake. I'm sure there are some pretty big bass in both lakes. Worst case you will have plenty of sunnies to keep your kids busy.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
Scarlet Oak Pond in the Ramapo Reservation has very decent shore access and about the best bass fishing you'll find for public, heavy-pressured waters in northern NJ. I've caught some big fish out of there.

I would just go as early as possible as the park gets busy (mostly with walkers and hikers) in the later morning. There are two other lakes in the reservation...one is a short hike up the trail (Bear Pond or something). You can see where they are on the map of the park in the parking lot. Never been to the third.

Also, Ramapo Lake on Skyline Dr. is an awesome place to fish. More pickerel than bass, but there are some nice bass. It's about a 20-minute hike up to the lake from the parking area, but then there is a trail that goes around the hole lake with lots of shore access along the way. Some very cool spots to hang out and fish. Very pretty up there. Once again, the earlier the better as it gets busy with hikers and bikers.
A easy, but uphill 20 minute hike in Ramapo Valley Reservation past Scarlet Oak Pond will bring you to McMillan Reservoir. Not a bad bass fishing location and plentiful shore access. A longer hike, probably about an hour, will bring you to Bear Swamp Lake which has excellent bass and pickerel fishing and lots of shore access. Check out the NYNJTC maps for the hiking routes. http://www.nynjtc.org/product/north-jersey-trails
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
Some places with shore fishing and bass.
Green Turtle Pond
Passaic River
Pompton River
Monksville Reservoir
Round Valley Reservoir
With a permit, the Newark watershed reservoirs (Clinton, Cannistear, Echo, Oak Ridge)
Scarlet Oak Pond
Sheppards Lake
Wawayanda Lake (boat rentals available and no powerboats to deal with)

This might be helpful to you
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2003/plcpnds03.pdf
I've always wanted to try Round Valley Reservoir. Where would I access it for shore fishing and how would you rate the shore fishing experience there?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I've always wanted to try Round Valley Reservoir. Where would I access it for shore fishing and how would you rate the shore fishing experience there?
You can access Round Valley from nearly anywhere if you are willing to walk. The areas around the camping launch and the main boat launch are easy to get to. Generally better trout fishing from shore in spring and fall than LMB fishing.
The lake drops off fast and you can be fishing in 20+ feet of water with your casts. It's a difficult lake to fish unless you know it. Not a place to bring kids with the idea of a guaranteed catch (outside trout in cold water season).
Old 06-17-2021, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
You can access Round Valley from nearly anywhere if you are willing to walk. The areas around the camping launch and the main boat launch are easy to get to. Generally better trout fishing from shore in spring and fall than LMB fishing.
The lake drops off fast and you can be fishing in 20+ feet of water with your casts. It's a difficult lake to fish unless you know it. Not a place to bring kids with the idea of a guaranteed catch (outside trout in cold water season).
Resurrecting this thread. Actually never made it to Round Valley when I started this conversation but considering doing so this Saturday evening. Any word of how shore fishing is this year?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I would also like to inquire about bass fishing down the shore, specifically near Brick Township. My in-laws own a home on the upper end of Barnegat Bay (Kettle Creek I believe it's called at that point). We fish off their dock for snapper blues but catch squat so we mostly crab. I'm basically looking for nearby fresh water ponds/lakes within 30 minute drive that have shore access.
Check out Forge Pond right in brick I have caught some nice largemouth there even though water a bit brackish. There are also a ton of old sand quarries in the pine barrens just a bit further south. If you have a decent 4 wheel drive vehicle
You can do some fun off roading and then have a perfect blue hole filled with bass all to yourself. Also great for swimming just be careful, we have all heard the stories about kids drowning while swimming in old quarries.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I've been following Haledon Reservoir in the Franklin Lakes nature preserve. Shore access is limited but there are good spots. Water near the dam drops off quickly to 15'. Post spawn you could watch some sizable LMB cruising back and forth in about 5-6 feet of water. But they're somewhat finicky and it can be tough going
Old 06-21-2021, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK37 View Post
I've been following Haledon Reservoir in the Franklin Lakes nature preserve. Shore access is limited but there are good spots. Water near the dam drops off quickly to 15'. Post spawn you could watch some sizable LMB cruising back and forth in about 5-6 feet of water. But they're somewhat finicky and it can be tough going
That's actually very close to me. I'm going to check it out.