NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lake Ida, Florida - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-08-2024, 05:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Lake Ida, Florida

Went after peacocks last week in the west palm area. Got bass/catfish/peacocks and hybrids. We hit into about 20 hybrid anywhere from 1lb up to 4lb. I was anticipating a much better fight in the hybrid bass from what I read. They fought, but compared to the same size smallies I would say the smallies are a much better battle. Granted the tackle/line strength have a huge influence on the battle. Either way Fla has such sweet fishing options with much less pressure than us in NJ. Always worth the trip down there to fish.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lake Ida, Florida

hybrids in nj fight way harder than the ones in florida. THose "sunshine bass" just don't have the fight those guys at spruce run do. Peacocks are insan i cannot wait to go back!

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 01-08-2024, 08:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was going to ask if someone thought that the hybrids in Fla don’t fight the same. Maybe the warmer water? The did fight, but not any better than largemouth. Peacocks are great, especially when they are just boiling the surface and eating like mad. The peacocks love the hot water. Great fishing down there.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They fight exactly the same. I have a spot in Florida where I catch 24"+ sunshine bass and they fight exactly the same as the hybrids in NJ. The fight way harder than any smallmouth or largemouth.

They are slightly different than hybrids in the rest of the country. "Sunshine bass” are hybrids produced by a male Striped Bass and female white bass, and a “hybrid/wiper” is a male white bass x female striper.

Last edited by JDTuna; 01-09-2024 at 02:50 PM..
Old 01-09-2024, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTuna View Post
They are slightly different than hybrids in the rest of the country. "Sunshine bass” are hybrids produced by a male Striped Bass and female white bass, and a “hybrid/wiper” is a male white bass x female striper.
Are there any notable differences in wipers vs sunshine bass? Any reason florida seems to exclusively hatch and raise them? It doesnt seem like other places raise and stock them that way?
Old 01-09-2024, 03:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Are there any notable differences in wipers vs sunshine bass? Any reason florida seems to exclusively hatch and raise them? It doesnt seem like other places raise and stock them that way?
Not really. The sunshine are only stocked in Florida, ad ID imagine it has to due with tolerance for high water temps.