NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Private launch ramps on Staten Island? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-19-2021, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Private launch ramps on Staten Island?

I realize Great Kills Park has ramps, but they don't allow single day launching. You must buy a season pass, and you can only buy one at the park itself. I have already tried, but you must go there in person too procure one.

They may allow only a certain number to be sold each year or something...

I would like to trailer down and fish the bay around SI and perhaps on the NY side of the Verazanno a couple times this coming summer.
I can't launch from Leonardo or AH, because I am not legal in NJ, only NY and Ct... I have to stay in NY waters.
I plan on getting my certificate, but the courses are very sparse up here, and with Covid there are actually none in the near future. I am legal until 2025 in both NY and Ct.

All I really need is to find a decent ramp on SI, but have not been able to find anything online.. I Thought maybe someone on this forum might know of a private marina there that does daily fee launching.. any help?.... bob
Old 03-19-2021, 04:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Private launch ramps on Staten Island?

Depending on who issued your NY & CT Certificates, you may be able use them in NJ waters. Check the NJ State Police Marine Services Bureau website. They discuss the regulations and use of other States Certificates namely a N.A.S.B.L.A. Approved Safety Course.

You may be legal for NJ already.

I have a NJ Certificate and fish NY waters often. Never had a problem.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Depending on who issued your NY & CT Certificates, you may be able use them in NJ waters. Check the NJ State Police Marine Services Bureau website. They discuss the regulations and use of other States Certificates namely a N.A.S.B.L.A. Approved Safety Course.

You may be legal for NJ already.

I have a NJ Certificate and fish NY waters often. Never had a problem.
NY does not require certificates in my age group until 2025 [born 1954], and conn, accepts that I am NY compliant in adjacent waters...

No choice but to stay on the NY side of the bay.. NJ Marine Police told me in an email in no uncertain terms that I was NOT welcome to operate a boat in NJJ coastal waters... bob
Old 03-20-2021, 01:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would still recommend you checking out the NJ State Police website but you seem to know everything about this subject.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
I would still recommend you checking out the NJ State Police website but you seem to know everything about this subject.
Believe me, I do NOT know everything about this or any other subject.. I do know that I was told I was NOT welcome to operate a boat in NJ waters, under any circumstance without an approved boaters safety permit... That is when I asked a question on the aforementioned state police website.. At other times, when I called they said it was not a problem, and as long as I was NY compliant[ which I am until 2025], I was ok... I really just need a definitive answer, but after a few years of trying have not really been able to get one.

That is the reason I simply decided that my best option was to simply stay on the NY side... I really would just like to know of any ramps in Staten Island that don't require a yearly pass.. I just can't find any, and thought perhaps someone here might know of one.. Seems very odd that there don't seem to be any at all.... bob
Old 03-22-2021, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NJ requires you have a NASBLA issued Boater Safety Certificate (BSC) for anywhere.

The NYS BSC is available TOTALLY ONLINE ( unlike NJ that requires face to face final exam). Take either BoaterExam.com or Boat-Ed.com for NYS and you're done for the rest of your life.

When done with the NYS course- passing grade only 76% ( not NJ 80%). They issue a 60 day temp and a chit. The Chit you send to Parks Dept in Albany with $10 check. Then send you the permanent plastic BSC Card.

That's the easiest way to comply. Also with waterways that are not 6 or more miles wide you have concurrent jurisdictions with NJ and NY since state territorials water extend 3 miles each.

Hope that helps?

I teach NJ and NY courses. SO PM me if you have any specific Q's? OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
NY does not require certificates in my age group until 2025 [born 1954], and conn, accepts that I am NY compliant in adjacent waters...

No choice but to stay on the NY side of the bay.. NJ Marine Police told me in an email in no uncertain terms that I was NOT welcome to operate a boat in NJJ coastal waters... bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-22-2021, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thank you Capt Frank for your well thought out, and very helpful reply. I appreciate the good information.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I called the NJSMP on saturday morning.. Spoke to a nice well mannered and articulate officer, and asked him the same question I have asked here several times, and to the NJSMP several times as well...

He told me that the bay and surrounding waters of NY/NJ were reciprocal, and that I was indeed compliant with NJ if I am compliant with NY in Raritan/Sandy Hook.. I cannot go into NJ lakes, non tidal rivers etc. I knew this. Probably can't go much further down the NJ coast say Shark/Manasquan etc. Not the first time I have been told this, I have heard it from others ...
However, the same NJSMP has told me not to even try it when I emailed them... Same old story really, it depends on who answers the phone or the email.. I will look into the online courses.

I just find it very odd that I still have not gotten a truly definitive answer from the very agency that enforces the regulations, after a bunch of attempts... bob
Old 03-22-2021, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Who said you cant go to NJ lakes? With the NYS BSC you can do exactly that.

Bad info if they told you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Thank you Capt Frank for your well thought out, and very helpful reply. I appreciate the good information.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I called the NJSMP on saturday morning.. Spoke to a nice well mannered and articulate officer, and asked him the same question I have asked here several times, and to the NJSMP several times as well...

He told me that the bay and surrounding waters of NY/NJ were reciprocal, and that I was indeed compliant with NJ if I am compliant with NY in Raritan/Sandy Hook.. I cannot go into NJ lakes, non tidal rivers etc. I knew this. Probably can't go much further down the NJ coast say Shark/Manasquan etc. Not the first time I have been told this, I have heard it from others ...
However, the same NJSMP has told me not to even try it when I emailed them... Same old story really, it depends on who answers the phone or the email.. I will look into the online courses.

I just find it very odd that I still have not gotten a truly definitive answer from the very agency that enforces the regulations, after a bunch of attempts... bob
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-22-2021, 05:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NYS Enforcement NYS Parks Department

NJ Enforcement - Marine Services Bureau of NJSP

That's the people who run it. Not the cop on the beat. Many are clueless and just pull answers out of their a**es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Who said you cant go to NJ lakes? With the NYS BSC you can do exactly that.

Bad info if they told you that.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
NYS Enforcement NYS Parks Department

NJ Enforcement - Marine Services Bureau of NJSP

That's the people who run it. Not the cop on the beat. Many are clueless and just pull answers out of their a**es.
I spoke to the Marine Services Bureau of NJSP..
He mentioned I can't go on inland waters currently.
He said tidal waters adjoining NY were ok..
Same answer I got when I spoke to the Conn. marine Police.. Adjoining coastal waters were reciprocal, and if I was ok in NY , I was ok in Conn...

Who knows??.. If I called 4 hours later and another officer answered the phone, I might have been told something entirely different... I will check the online course you mentioned. I will need it in a few years anyway..... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 03-22-2021 at 08:04 PM..