NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Anyone try Tenkara? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Anyone try Tenkara?

Hey all! I wanted to get into some fly fishing because I've never done it before, but currently I don't have the time to learn all that goes into it. I stumbled upon tenkara randomly last night and it seems like a fun way to give fly fishing a shot without breaking the bank or spending hours learning the ins and outs of a fly rod.

Has anyone ever given tenkara a shot? I'd love to hear some stories. And if so, what's a good, cheap rod to start with? Any replies are much appreciated.

Tight lines!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:48 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Anyone try Tenkara?

I know Patagonia sells afordable tenkara kits .Its not my thing but i know its an effective was to present flies on small creeks and streams . Im sure its ideal for picking the pockets on small wild trout streams like Spruce Run Creek , or even bigger water like Ken Lockwood Gorge .Tenkara has a huge following im sure and internet search would be an over whelming amount of info
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

From my beginner experience, you can really just use any rod. I have a spincasting rod attached to an old pflueger medalist reel since id rather carry around a lil rod than this 8 wt.

Maybe it's a good idea to buy a good reel and fly line then see if you want a dedicated fly rod later.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
From my beginner experience, you can really just use any rod. I have a spincasting rod attached to an old pflueger medalist reel since id rather carry around a lil rod than this 8 wt.

Maybe it's a good idea to buy a good reel and fly line then see if you want a dedicated fly rod later.
I'm actually talking about the tenkara technique, which is an old Japanese style of fishing where you don't use a reel at all! I had never heard of it before last night but it seems like it would be right up my ally, perfect for the spruce run creek (aka my backyard) too like the guy above said! It's totally different and really interesting so I'm heavily considering giving it a try, just wanted to see if anyone else had given it a try too.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tenkara is Japanese for "new method to separate fisherman from money".

It looks like a cross between long-pole fishing and flyfishing. I guess it's a minimalist way to fly fish, without the reel and the fancy casting methods.

I've watched a few videos on it on Youtube.
Here is a video about Tenkara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N40BOFYKR38

Last edited by Eskimo; 08-22-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 08-22-2017, 02:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sorry I just assumed it was a kind of brand for fly fishing rods when I gave it a quick search online.

You can do anything in Tenkara that you do in normal fly fishing it seems. When I fly fish some ponds/creeks I sometimes wont even touch my reel for a while if the spot is right, basically going Tenkara.

Similar to nymphing I think, look up a video and you'll see they're basically doing the same thing with a normal fly outfit; flicking the fly upstream and letting it go down, guiding it with the rod tip. Not really touching the reel at all.

So I dont see how it'll be any different. You'll just be fly fishing but without the abilities that reels provide (drag, line storage, and feeding line out for casting)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Sorry I just assumed it was a kind of brand for fly fishing rods when I gave it a quick search online.

You can do anything in Tenkara that you do in normal fly fishing it seems. When I fly fish some ponds/creeks I sometimes wont even touch my reel for a while if the spot is right, basically going Tenkara.

Similar to nymphing I think, look up a video and you'll see they're basically doing the same thing with a normal fly outfit; flicking the fly upstream and letting it go down, guiding it with the rod tip. Not really touching the reel at all.

So I dont see how it'll be any different. You'll just be fly fishing but without the abilities that reels provide (drag, line storage, and feeding line out for casting)
Its all good bro! The main difference I see is the fact that I don't have to spend a bunch of time learning how to cast correctly. Seeing as i dont have a lot of free time, just tying a short section of line on with some tippet and a fly seems much easier.

In addition, when I do eventually make the jump to regular fly fishing I am going to want to pick up equipment that will last me a long time, which is pretty expensive. I actually just picked up everything I need to try Tenkara (including a rod) for under 50 dollars, that way even if I don't enjoy it I don't feel bad about dropping a boatload of cash on it.

I also really like the minimalist style of fishing Tenkara offers. While having a reel and all is very efficient, connecting with a trout in this style of fishing seems so organic and fun.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
The main difference I see is the fact that I don't have to spend a bunch of time learning how to cast correctly.
You shouldnt think you wont get casting down quickly, if I can do it you can too.

I understand it's mostly just about going minimal however. For a place like that SR creek you wont be needing a reel. Yet there have been times in similar creeks that a cast helped me hit a spot without having to get too close to it.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Don't be intimidated by fly fishing. A lot of people think it is much more difficult than it really is. The only time you really need to learn to "fly cast" if when you are fishing dry flies. The vast majority of the time you will be nymphing which mostly requires simple roll casts. It is a great sport, easy to learn, and very effective. Join a Trout Unlimited chapter. The members are always willing to provide ideas, instruction, etc.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fishin View Post
Don't be intimidated by fly fishing. A lot of people think it is much more difficult than it really is. The only time you really need to learn to "fly cast" if when you are fishing dry flies. The vast majority of the time you will be nymphing which mostly requires simple roll casts. It is a great sport, easy to learn, and very effective. Join a Trout Unlimited chapter. The members are always willing to provide ideas, instruction, etc.
I'm definitely going to try it down the road! I always loved driving over the Raritan and looking down at all the fly anglers. I just thought Tenkara might be an easy way to transition: get some knowledge about flies and how to place them in the water column, learn some new knots, etc. Fly fishing is definitely going to be in my future, and I think Tenkara will only solidify that!