NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wooden vs. Composite Bunks - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Wooden vs. Composite Bunks

Looking for some info.....my bunks on my trailer are rotted and it is time to replace. I see that they have composite bunks available now. I have a pretty light weight boat (aluminum) ; was thinking of purchasing composite bunks instead of wood. Anyone have any familiarity with these bunks, use them? or have any information regarding them? Is it worth getting the composites over treated lumber. Any feedback greatly appreciated.....thanks....Capt. Dave
Old 06-12-2017, 01:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wooden vs. Composite Bunks

wood w carpet over them is the way to go IMO, if you run the sliders or the full composite bunks you end up w scratches if theres weeds/sand/silt on the boat when u load it. If you only fish clean water and never beach the boat to load/unload it or dont mind a little fade the composites slide real easy when wet
Old 06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I just converted a roller trailer to a bunk trailer for a Carolina Skiff and made 2 identical sets using PT wood, bunk carpet, glue and stainless staples. This way when/if the first set rots out, i got a second set ready to bolt on or if i sell the rig, its an add on.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskynut View Post
Looking for some info.....my bunks on my trailer are rotted and it is time to replace. I see that they have composite bunks available now. I have a pretty light weight boat (aluminum) ; was thinking of purchasing composite bunks instead of wood. Anyone have any familiarity with these bunks, use them? or have any information regarding them? Is it worth getting the composites over treated lumber. Any feedback greatly appreciated.....thanks....Capt. Dave
I just changed my bunks, only got 5 years out of originals all freshwater. Bought my rig all new, bunks were completely covered with carpet. You need to leave an open strip on the bottom for drying, 2 bunks actually broke through at once. I have a pal that has composite, not a big difference except what Jimmy said. Make sure to let the glue dry according to specs.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

use untreated wood for bunks. PT wood can eat your trailer and fasteners with corrosion, and also your boat if it is aluminum. these days PT wood has copper in it, highly reactive, that's why it requires those ceramic coated fasteners for decks etc.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Re considered my first reply when I re read your post and saw that your boat is aluminum..
Personally myself, I would use PT, making sure it was good and dry, and then paint or stain it, and use slick sliders with stainless screws, BUT my aluminum boat is older..

However, in your case, if you have a newer boat and worry about it getting scratched using sliders, and are using carpet, PT would not be the way to go.. The PT wood itself would need to be constantly touching the aluminum boat surface to cause issues really, but to be absolutely sure just use untreated wood..