NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Scoping out new spots - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Scoping out new spots

Despite the splendid weather we had Tuesday, I've been mostly focusing on where to fish when it hits spring.

I'm new to angling, and my notebook of fishing spots to hit is limited. So far I've scoped out a few spots on google maps- some nice streams off the raritan and such that would look fun wading through.

The only problem is knowing the details of it. Im fortunate to know where trout are stocked- but where smallies are inhabiting are a mystery to me

I understand you guys don't want to give away your secret fishing spots , but suggesting the process in finding them would be appreciated!

Happy new year!
Old 12-28-2016, 04:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Scoping out new spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Despite the splendid weather we had Tuesday, I've been mostly focusing on where to fish when it hits spring.

I'm new to angling, and my notebook of fishing spots to hit is limited. So far I've scoped out a few spots on google maps- some nice streams off the raritan and such that would look fun wading through.

The only problem is knowing the details of it. Im fortunate to know where trout are stocked- but where smallies are inhabiting are a mystery to me

I understand you guys don't want to give away your secret fishing spots , but suggesting the process in finding them would be appreciated!

Happy new year!
Regarding the Raritan the smallies will also be where the trout are stocked.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

No spot is the same year to year on big rivers. Precipitation and water levels will dictate where game fish hunker down. Any one who fishes the raritan can give you 3 spots where they caught bronzebacks this year. When spring rolls around these same spots can be void of life. Rivers are alive...dynamic watersheds. Year over year they change dramatically.

Throw big baits to catch big bronze!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Try getting in touch with AndyS and accompany him on some of his many Raritan River cleanups. You'll get to know stretches of the river very well, since you'll be up to your chest in them.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Timing has a lot to do with catching smallmouths. Almost every stream has them. The Musky has a good population with some occasional bigger fish in the deeper, slower holes and stretches. The Paulinskill downstream from Blairstown has its share. The Lammington is good and the lower section of the Pequest has been known to give up a few. As the water temps warm up and the levels go down, the bronzebacks come out to play. I didn't mention the North Branch or South Branch because it goes without saying that they are great.

I've taken quite a few from my favorite trout holes late in the season with my fly rod and a streamer. Many times I was convinced I had hooked the biggest brown trout of my life only to be stunned to see a big, fat smallmouth on the end of my line. The biggest one I ever landed on my fly rod was one that was a tad over 4# from the Paulinskill from a deep hole under a sycamore tree that hung over the stream. Try flipping a big fathead or shiner into some of those holes and hang on. Private property signs will be the only thing that will cramp your style from any exploration. Otherwise, drive along the rivers and look for the trout signs and go from there. If not, there's the Big "D".
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

the state has a good tool for finding property ownership
http://njgin.state.nj.us/oit/gis/NJ_TaxListSearch/
very useful when trying to find new spots that are less well known / more off the beaten path
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Scoping out new spots

I think it's a great time of year to be scouting spots, not all of fish when the temps drop off in the winter. Lard is correct, I learned a lot about the South Branch during the clean ups as well as the Raritan river.
I think the big smallmouth are very smart.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I like to scope with my pole during the offseason- get a good map look- scope private vs not etc- then walk it just to get an idea for the next time I wanna go back- dunk a few lures- move on.
Got my pb brown trout that way- never seems to hurt- and it beats being cooped up.
I don't know a lot of the rivers down by u- but the Paulinskill can be very productive and access isn't really an issue- esp for stockies-
Thou not sure how far U wanna drive
Old 12-28-2016, 10:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

@acabtp
That's a great tool when it comes to determining if you're treading on property or not.

@tycomps
The one stream that I got my eyes on is stocked with trout- in the spring. Regardless ill be fishing there, but would be nice to know if I could fish there before hand and not just wait till trout are stocked.

I don't want to give away any secret spots that some hold to their hearts so I'll give hints off the raritan, goes up a waterfall, and no too far from a historical encampment...

It's not a very large creek and it's disconnected to the main raritan. I wonder how smallmouth got there? Were they stocked long ago?

@AndyS
What does it take to join you for one of those cleanups?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Scoping out new spots

http://www.cjstreamteam.org/

Or you can do your own clean ups. Also check locally to see what TU and other Watershed groups are doing.