NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Snakehead Wranglin! A cool South Jersey Adventure - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Snakehead Wranglin! A cool South Jersey Adventure

Figured you guys & gals might like to check out my latest Adventure way down deep in the swamps of South Jersey.

Hope ya like it.

Thanks!

Ken-

**Just click the pic below;

Ken-
Old 09-12-2016, 11:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Snakehead Wranglin! A cool South Jersey Adventure

really nice invasive spices smackdown ken.did you try a mouse?that plate looked real good too.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Snakehead Wranglin! A cool South Jersey Adventure

Nice stringer! Their invasive, so their a must kill yes? And only down the deleware so far? It's a long ride from Wanaque - but maybe if their good eating and encouraged, I'll have to try it- besides frogs and mice- anything special or a good starting point?(without giving away too many secrets- could always just replicate this trip)-ty
Old 09-13-2016, 06:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
really nice invasive spices smackdown ken.did you try a mouse?that plate looked real good too.
Hiya Icebadger -- thanks......and no, I only used the KVD Frog that day in the swamp. And yes, they are delicious!

Ken-
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That is SOUTH! LOL, I grew up in Blenheim (Close to Deptford and Runnemede). Never caught one, but friends that have caught 'em tell me they're delicious. I even read an article awhile back about them in the Potomac and how the fancy-pants restaurants were serving them as a delicacy to the politicians and movers-and-shakers in the D.C. area, they're that good! Nice catches, especially on an artificial.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wish I had known they were tasty to eat. Back in the late 80s-90s I bought 2 African snake heads that were about 1 1/2" long. Things grew at an insane speed starting out eating brine shrimp then guppies then small gold fish. Went from a 20 gallon tank to a 45 and then a 150 gallon tank. Was dumb enough to keep trying to put other fish in with them that were 4 times their size but they grow so fast and eat so much that they ended up being the sole survivors in the tank. In the end I was ordering jumbo goldfish that were about a foot long to feed them. They ate frogs, lizards, mice, rats, anything you dropped in. And don't put your fingers in either cause I guys they are on the menu also. Many of my friends found that out the hard way. Finally put them in a big cooler and tried to find a home for them. Thing lived in a cooler of water in my garage for 3 months. No filter just a bubbler. Then my girlfriends friends boyfriend said he would fit in nice in his huge tank with his "nasty" African cichlids(LMAO). A month later I saw him and he only had the 2 snake heads left in the tank. Guess they had cichlid dinner. Things grew from guppies sized to about 28"-30" in a year and a half. Incredible.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXlyakattacker View Post
I wish I had known they were tasty to eat. Back in the late 80s-90s I bought 2 African snake heads that were about 1 1/2" long.
I remember those days when you could buy Snakeheads in the pet store. Fish & Game put an end to that.
Asian supermarkets were also importing snakeheads and selling them alive as delicacies.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i have fished every swamp & backwater down there from brooklawn south & have seen em but cant catch em guess I need to stick to the salt

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 09-13-2016, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23cardinal View Post
Nice stringer! Their invasive, so their a must kill yes? And only down the deleware so far? It's a long ride from Wanaque - but maybe if their good eating and encouraged, I'll have to try it- besides frogs and mice- anything special or a good starting point?(without giving away too many secrets- could always just replicate this trip)-ty
Yea..... just study the river a bit & look for Tributaries off the river...... that`s where you`ll find the Snakes. Gotta do a little scoutin`........ but it can pay off if ya ain`t lazy.

I just throw KVD Frogs down there...... too thick to throw much else. Maybe a Mouse as well.

Ken-
Old 09-13-2016, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Snakehead Wranglin! A cool South Jersey Adventure

Way to go Ken! Ton of fun to catch and absolutely delicious! Nice stringer of invasive Snakeheads! YEA BUDDY!!!