NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Late Night Thunderstorm Bassin' 6/28-6/29 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Late Night Thunderstorm Bassin' 6/28-6/29

I was feeling restless last night so I decided to do some late night bassin' at a local pond in Union County. By 11 pm the torrential downpour had ceased and it was a light intermittent drizzle when I headed out to a spot I hadn't been to in a while. Most people (even local UC people) have never heard of this park and those few that have probably didn't know there was a pond tucked into a back corner.

When got to the pond I saw the feeder stream was now a raging river dumping so much water Into this puddle that it created a channel/current that ran straight from the feeder stream to dam through the center of pond. I started working just outside of the current with a massive crankbait I found while cleaning out my garage earlier in the week. I should note, I have never even caught a fish on a crank before yesterday.

3rd cast and I haul out a nice bass who gave me a few jumps before I got him to shore. Proceeded to catch two more on the crankbait (I learned last night that Treble hooks and fishing in the dark are not a good combo) before I hooked into what was by far my biggest fish of the night. The fish struck right as my lure was working its way through a mostly submerged tree branch so before I knew what hit me the fish must have wrapped my line around so many tree branches that I couldn't reel in an inch. I decided to give some slack and wait and see if the fish would untangle itself, no such luck. I ended up having to cut my line.

After losing my magic crank I tied on a spinnerbait and proceeded to catch another decent bass on the first cast and then one more 20 minutes later.

I am completely exhausted at work today but it was totally worth it!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...TB2SUVNZmpFQzQ
Old 06-29-2016, 01:21 PM
dakota560

Default Re: Late Night Thunderstorm Bassin' 6/28-6/29

Good report and some nice large mouths. Interesting how some of these small bodies of water are overlooked and hold some decent fish. Night time fishing definitely has it's advantages if you can get up for work the next day!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I love waters with less fishing pressure, and fishing right after it rains.

Sorry on the crank loss. Hate losing a good lure
Sounds like s great night
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I always have found the spots where water enters the lake after a storm to be a go to place for bass. I like dropping a plastic worm right in the current, hen I work the edges of the current with a Rapala. Both have done quite well for me.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Late Night Thunderstorm Bassin' 6/28-6/29

Way to get your Bass fix in the dark brother! That's some good stuff right there! YEA BUDDY! I used 4 lures to play with Bass back in the day. Black buzz bait, white buzz bait, giant black jitterbug, giant green jitterbug! Good catching dude!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Night time is the right time! My first nighttime bass was in the pond at Lenape pk on a yellow jitterbug. Nice job.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXlyakattacker View Post
Night time is the right time! My first nighttime bass was in the pond at Lenape pk on a yellow jitterbug. Nice job.
Funny that pond has never shown me much love at night (or during the day for that matter). I was convinced it was devoid of fish until I went there during spawn this year and water was super clear. I saw plenty of real nice bass in there. I guess I should try a jitterbug:-). I always figured that place should have a great top water bite considering the entire pond doesn't get much more than 2 feet deep.