NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Stream Safety - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Trout Stream Safety

I was able to shake off the cabin fever and take advantage of the warm break in thel the weather after the snow by heading to a few streams in Morris and Warren Counties. The snow was still pretty deep in some spots and the ice along the banks was also a concern. If you do get out and there is snow still present, be careful. The snow is right up to the banks and there is no telling how steep or where the bank drops off. A wading staff might be a good thing to carry so you can check the depth of the drifts and where the bank starts to drop off.

Roadside parking is also compromised. Where there used to be easy access from the road to your favorite pool, might not be so easy. You might have to hike a distance from a pull-off a longer distance away than you might expect. Some spots have been plowed, others have been plowed into. There were several spots on the Musky that had little or no easy access and many spots had piles of snow in front of the paths or banks. If getting into the stream was easy, getting out might not be. The same snow banks and snow-covered branches that you might have used to help your exit might be dangerous.

The icy edges of the streams can cut right through your waders too. There's nothing like a dunk in an icy stream or a boot full of ice cold water to get your attention.

This rain will change things but wait a few days until the water drops a bit and clears. Right now, the streams are still rather low but very, very clear.

I saw no black stone flies yet but with these air temperatures, they might start sooner than later.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Trout Stream Safety

Thanx for the advice !
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Trout Stream Safety

This year's been a peice of cake.. but..your wader belt should be on the OUTSIDE of your jacket!!! Again buddy system is the way to go.. you know ur ability
Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I see too many people on the rivers this time of year without a wader belt. It is easily one of the most important pieces of equipment you should have on when stream/river fishing in icy water. It could save your life!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

All good advice since I fish all winter here's how it could happen cause it happened to me several years back in late winter high water. I was crossing above a heavy riff to get the correct side .
About 1/3 way across trip over a rock & fell backwards flat on my back water rushing over me & my arms could not catch bottom , current rolling me DS ! It wasn't deep enough to get my boots tucked in so I could float . Since I was heavier & was slower than current it was washing over me with water pouring over my head !
Hard as it might seem I could not get myself righted & get up ! Water like ice & getting really wet now .
Finally righted mysel on my knees now water still pouring in my wader jacket even though my belt kept it out of my waders .
Crawled out with water poring over me .
Could have drowned in about 4' of fast water !
I generally fish alone so now I always used a wade staff that is metal & weighted @"bottom so it stands up in current .
All happened very fast & was the first time I remember going in backwards real scary !
I trout fish all winter & during 80% of the season 4/5 times every week & if it can happen to me it sure as H can happen to anyone !!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good advice, Lou. You are correct about just how fast it happens. I wear felt bottom boots with cleats over my stocking foot waders but that is not a cure-all. The power of rushing 4' of water is nothing to take lightly.

Shuffling along with the upstream foot always moving and planted first before moving the next foot is the way to go when crossing a stream. Having a wading staff in addition is even safer. Despite all of these precautions, I fell forward while fishing a streamer downstream. I was hugging the near bank in waist deep water facing across and downstream when I tripped on a submerged log. I lost my balance and the current did the rest. I guess my excitement in having hooked a 19" brook trout distracted me just long enough to forget to feel my way downstream as I chased the trout. I managed to keep the fish on my flyline as I took a header. Fortunately, I was next to the bank and was able to grab a branch to right myself and pull myself up. The river (Paulinskill) was running higher than normal and was a little off color which added to my clumsiness. As you said, it can happen very quickly.