NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Walleye 1/2/2016 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-02-2016, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Walleye 1/2/2016

Chrisper and I had been talking about giving the walleyes a shot for a few weeks. My schedule has been a bit hectic lately, but today we finally got out to chase some 'eyes. Since neither of us had fished this area for walleye before, we had a quick look around before we started to fish. It didnt take too long before I hooked up, but I immediately knew the fish was way too heavy to be a walleye. After a bit of bulldogging, I saw the flash of large golden scales and a big carp materialized. After a quick picture, she was safely released into the depths.

We set back up and I had another hit. It was apparent that this was also not a walleye. The stubborn fish had shoulders and peeled drag all over the place. Finally, the fish came into view and we netted another carp, this one even bigger than the first. The fished looked to be in the 20lbs range. This one was also quickly released.

We bounced around a bit and ended up finally catching some walleyes. The bites were subtle, and we both missed some and pulled hooks on others.* All in all mission accomplished a great first trip of 2016.

Thanks again to Chrisper for having me onboard. Ended up meeting the walleye veterans out on the water. Great to finally meet Eddie, Skunk and Mikey!

Last edited by JDTuna; 01-02-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Walleye 1/2/2016

Those are some bigggg Carp man and glad you found the ever elusive Walleye! Nice to finally put a face behind the reports too!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I still can't believe I pulled two hooks at the surface and the last one looked like a nice 20-22". Those are some sick carp. I'm thinking def 20lbs class.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-03-2016, 07:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Way to start off the new year!

How did the new helix work out?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Walleye 1/2/2016

Good to see you maniacs out there. Those river Carp get rather large in that area. Great job landing those beasts without sinking Chris's tin can, lol! Beautiful Carp I must say. And congrats on getting a couple Walleye in the boat. The bite was subtle for sure. Too many boats moving around can shut the bite down quite a bit. Way to hang in there and make it happen.

We grinded out 8-9 Walleye with only 1 being a keeper. The rest were feisty little shorts. That's the way the ball rolls sometimes. See you guys out there.

TIGHT LINEZ!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 AM
dakota560

Nice carp guys and good to see you found some walleyes. Definitely would place those fish around the 20 lb mark or more but believe me carp in the Big D get significantly bigger. Big body of water and they don't get too much pressure in that neck of the woods. Some real beasts swimming around there. Great way to spend a January day! Channels, carp, walleye, musky......everything in the river this time of year is in that hole! Must be some sight to see.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Congrats on the walleye. Those were some monster carp. Had to be a nice fight from the boat.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Some really nice fish you landed in what looks like some really tight quarters? HAHA, good to see man!
Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice job fellaz! Some beefy fish!! These carp will surprisingly hit lures sometimes and add that much more excitement to the battle. Thought I had a monster bass once on a crank & wound up being a 5lb carp, a lil ignorance is bliss fight.
Everything is still eating out there though, nice job getting out & taking advantage!!
Old 01-03-2016, 02:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Good to see you maniacs out there. Those river Carp get rather large in that area. Great job landing those beasts without sinking Chris's tin can, lol! Beautiful Carp I must say. And congrats on getting a couple Walleye in the boat. The bite was subtle for sure. Too many boats moving around can shut the bite down quite a bit. Way to hang in there and make it happen.

We grinded out 8-9 Walleye with only 1 being a keeper. The rest were feisty little shorts. That's the way the ball rolls sometimes. See you guys out there.

TIGHT LINEZ!!!
It's HALF a tin can! How would you get into a whole tin can? good thing we didn't catch both those carp at the same time...would've exceeded the weight limit! Hahahaha
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54