NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The summer funk has set in - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default The summer funk has set in

I think the summer funk has officially set in for me. Got skunked a second time in a row at Spruce on Sat morning. So naturally I was dead set of revenge Sunday morning.

I changed it up a bit and hit Merrill Creek instead of Spruce Run. Never been there before, Looked promising and it was nice to be able to see some structure and weeds. I picked up 2 Large mouth bass, little guys, prob only 1 Lb each. At least I shook off the skunk. Once the sun got a little higher in sky it was game over for me. Nothing was interested in what I had to offer after about 9 AM. I did see some Nice size fish follow the lure a few times, but they wouldn't take a pass it. Once the wind kicked up around 2PM I threw in the towel.

I can beat the banks all day long and do OK, but once the bass leave the shoreline I get lost. I need to get better a reading my depth finder, locating submerged structure and fishing it. I'm also going to try some drop shotting next time out.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: The summer funk has set in

my advice is to start fishing productive waters....spruce is the last place Id go to fish LMB. I have seen many bass tournaments w die hard guys come up w small bags and skunks, its better suited for other species. If you have water access via kayak/boat the best bet is the newark watersheds, great smallie and LM fishing there. small ponds and backwaters are the best due to the least pressure on them, look at how many guys on here post decent fish and are all fishing from shore. I could hand 99% of fisherman a tournament loaded Ranger and stick them on Hopatcong and they couldnt catch a bass to trade for the boat for their lives. Merrill is a great place but after the spawn its a open water game, fish are suspended in no mans land chasing herring, u missed the shallow water bite. Do some research on where u plan on fishing and fish it the way it needs to be fished....remember follow the bait and you will always find the fish....In a place like SR and MR the bait isnt in 5 fow anymore its in 15+
Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
my advice is to start fishing productive waters....spruce is the last place Id go to fish LMB. I have seen many bass tournaments w die hard guys come up w small bags and skunks, its better suited for other species. If you have water access via kayak/boat the best bet is the newark watersheds, great smallie and LM fishing there. small ponds and backwaters are the best due to the least pressure on them, look at how many guys on here post decent fish and are all fishing from shore. I could hand 99% of fisherman a tournament loaded Ranger and stick them on Hopatcong and they couldnt catch a bass to trade for the boat for their lives. Merrill is a great place but after the spawn its a open water game, fish are suspended in no mans land chasing herring, u missed the shallow water bite. Do some research on where u plan on fishing and fish it the way it needs to be fished....remember follow the bait and you will always find the fish....In a place like SR and MR the bait isnt in 5 fow anymore its in 15+
Great advice Jimmy!

The only correction I would make is that kayaks are not an option in the sheds. They are banned and I'm considering hiring Al Sharpton and filing a discrimination lawsuit against the state. They be discriminating against us for being in short boats.

Overall, I would say the summer funk hasn't set in. The rainfall as been god and the water levels are good. The waters are warm, but not hot and fetid.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Summer funk...dog days of summer...it's all a myth. Go early or late. Get your lure in the thick stuff or deep under top cover and you will be in the bass zone! Summer is my favorite time to bass fish but you need to be on the right lake with plenty of surface cover... That way you've already found the bass! Open deep lakes will be tougher to find the bass in my opinion.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What Jimmy said about MC also goes for most larger bodies of water, especially the Sheds. They get lowered so much by the end of each summer you never really get any appreciable weed growth to support a shallow bite during the heat of the summer. Sure, you can pick up some fish early and late but it is really a deep structure game right now. For bass right now, I would suggest trying the small no-name heavily weeded lakes / ponds / bogs on the WMA's, especially the ones you need to hike and drag a yak to.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Great advice Jimmy!

The only correction I would make is that kayaks are not an option in the sheds. They are banned and I'm considering hiring Al Sharpton and filing a discrimination lawsuit against the state. They be discriminating against us for being in short boats.

Overall, I would say the summer funk hasn't set in. The rainfall as been god and the water levels are good. The waters are warm, but not hot and fetid.

I know there are several paddling groups trying to get Newark to reconsider the ban on kayaks and canoes. Feel free to add your voice. I wrote a letter earlier in the year. Pretty silly ban if you ask me.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm in, where should I send that letter. I can get at least ten people to do it also. Also I think spruce is a pretty dam good place to large mouth bass fish. You just need to avoid what I call you to yoyo time. That starts at 7am and ends around 7pm in the warm months.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I should have said the summer funk has set in for me.

Any other recommendations besides the Sheds? I live literally 5 mins from Spruce Run, So that's why I always land there. I'm really not looking to drive over an hour to find fish. I've been checking out google maps and not really seeing anything else somewhat local besides Round Valley, but I believe I would be in the same situation there.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

are you only interested in bass? find some small ponds and hit them with frogs and weedless punching jigs.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I really am primarily set up for Bass. I'd be glad to catch most species, but they're not really what I'm targeting. I'm an ADD poster child, so sitting around with live bait waiting for a bite drives me nuts. I'm all for smaller ponds by boat. I get really frustrated bank fishing. Between the snags in all directions and the potential crowds, I'd rather be boating.