NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

dirty gas removal - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default dirty gas removal

Well the season is not starting off on a high note. Topped the tank off with 35 gallons in a 88 gallon tank. Didn't think I had 50 plus in there and turns out I was right. Looks as if I got 20 gallons of water I'n there and the only think I can think of is have the gas pumped out . was wondering if anyone had this problem and who to contact to get it pumped out at reasonable price? Any help is appreciated. .......I'm in keyport
Old 04-14-2015, 06:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: dirty gas removal

You can siphon the gas out of the tank into a 55 gallon drum. Then call a Haz Mat Disposal firm (Clean Venture, eg.) who will properly dispose of the mixture.

I don't know how wise it would be to have a vac-truck do the job because the suction may be too powerful. However, Haz Mat firms do have vac trucks for liquid disposal jobs if you want to take a chance.

Just an idea. I had to have my fuel tank replaced and the siphon procedure was used for the fuel/water mixture.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks tj that sounds like the way to go appreciate the help.

Almost forgot what boat stands for

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 04-14-2015, 07:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fat, search for the thread for a guy named John 609 693 4535 he does tank cleaning.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Only if you want to venture into DIY, I had few gallons of water in the tank, I got a flex pipe 3/8" may be 4 feet long from homedepot, connected it to a 20 feet gas hose with a bulb. Took out gauge, inserted the flex pipe to the bottom of the tank and siphoned the water. Water is heavier and sits on the bottom. If you can put the bow up all the water will be at the stern side in the tank...once you have water out, have a good water filter like RACOR and see if it gets any water... Mine had no water afterwards. Whatever you choose to do... Good luck.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Here is the post you need to see. You don't want to waste all that good gas plus pay for disposal of it all....have this guy come out and filter out the water and put the good gas back in your tank.

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/show...+tank+cleaning

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 04-14-2015 at 07:59 PM..
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How the hell did ya get 20 gallons of water in the tank?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Site Sponsor

Best advice I can give you is to have your fuel tank pressure tested before you do anything. We had a similar problem with our Parker a couple of years ago and we kept draining the fuel/water and kept pumping in fresh fuel. It would run fine for a trip or two, but then we were back at square one with the boat out of order and cancelling multiple charters.

After replacing all of our internal fuel filters and external raycors multiple times, not to mention refueling our 200gal tank half a dozen times, we finally figured out there was a hole in our tank and the water was actually seeping in from the bottom (see pics). It cost us thousands of dollars rebuilding our motor, refueling and replacing raycors to finally find out that we had to cut out our old tank and have a new one built and reinstalled.

My best suggestion would be to find the cause of the problem before dumping out the bad fuel and filling her back up. As much as it pains me (and my wallet) to relive those memories, I hope you can learn from our costly mistakes and I'd be happy to help you in any way I can. Just give me a call or shoot me an email.

Best of luck FFS!

~Capt. Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	81273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4582.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	81274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7566.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	81275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2502.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	81276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	81277  

Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great advice above. I too would want to know where all that water came from in the first place, otherwise you are just treating the symptom and not the problem.

20 gallons is a lot of water and that volume of water would not be caused by normal condensation in the tank from a winter lay up.

I'd be checking the fuel tank as suggested above. You don't want water in your fuel or fuel in your bildge. Either one could lead to much bigger issues if it's not taken care of.

I had a fuel tank leak in one of my old boats.... The tank was easy to get to so I took it out, bought it to a place that also services radiators where they tested it, found the leaks and had a special process where they coated the tank inside and out and it stopped the leaks.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How do you know it's 20 gallons of water? Not sure how all that water got into the tank. Separation just separates water and fuel. It's doesn't create more. Sounds like intrusion.

Most people use a smaller container as you will need a fork lift for a 55 gallon 400 pound drum. Siphon it out into multiple small containers to transport.

No sure if the gas is clearly water or gas. I have mixed old gas with auto tank fuel in small doses.. 4/5 gallons in a 24 gallon tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat fish stick View Post
Well the season is not starting off on a high note. Topped the tank off with 35 gallons in a 88 gallon tank. Didn't think I had 50 plus in there and turns out I was right. Looks as if I got 20 gallons of water I'n there and the only think I can think of is have the gas pumped out . was wondering if anyone had this problem and who to contact to get it pumped out at reasonable price? Any help is appreciated. .......I'm in keyport
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 05-06-2015 at 09:39 AM..