NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

popular beliefs you don't follow - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default popular beliefs you don't follow

so i was thinking of all those widely believed and popular fishing procedures, tactics, etc. and how I just don't believe some of them.

I probably get the most flak for using left hand retrieve baitcasting reels and i'm a righty...i want my more coordinated arm for casting, working the lure, etc. why would i hold the rod in my left hand to reel with my right? sure i could force learn casting with my left and working a lure with my left...but why would i do that when i can just use a left hand retrieve reel?

on a big game trolling or shark rod/conventional reel or something i can see having a right hand retrieve... i mean if you're not casting it really or working a lure it doesn't matter.

there that's my rant, feel free to comment on it, but i'll never accept your arguments of using a right hand retrieve baitcaster if you're a righty haha.

post up your own 'against popular belief' fishing habits
Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: popular beliefs you don't follow

I agree 110% with you about the "lefty" baitcasters. if you crank a spinning reel with your left hand, why wouldn't you also reel a conventional with your left hand? that's probably why I have so many lefty penns, because everytime I see one for sale I cant help myself
Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

^^^^^^Me too^^^^^^No need to switch the rod to the other hand to retrieve after every cast also.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yeah I would have to agree also, I use my left hand with a spinning reel, and I used to use a right handed baitcaster and it just didn't feel right. So I decided to buy a left handed baitcaster and it seems to feel much better and more natural for me.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i've got this one friend who keeps bringing bananas out on the boat
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Haha, my friends dad brought a banana on a party boat and some guys were blaming him for not catching anything so he put a sliver of peel on his diamond jig and caught bluefish on it.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When I'm fishing for 8 to 10 hours, I find that using a baitcaster with the handle on the right side is a nice change of pace from the spinning reel with the handle on the left. I switch back and forth but in the end, go with your preference.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm with you all on the baitcasters, as a lefty I always found the right-handed reels more comfortable.

I never put much stock in weather patterns. Sure, fish may be more active at certain times, but just because it's cloudless and windy, doesn't mean there are no fish to catch.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-21-2015, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm in with the baitcaster posse... I'm righty but only use lefty baitcasters... much more comfortable and don't have to switch hands on the cast...
Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Mine is lure selection with color combinations. I believe lures are meant to catch fisherman not fish. Go to the store and you see more color combinations then you will ever be able to stock up on for all various situations. You would need a pickup truck just for lures. Now I do have a personal favorite lure that is my go to most all situations, #2 and #3 Copper Mepps spinner but when I look back at the lures when I was growing up and even the lures my father had growing up I often wonder, did no one catch fish back then? Of course they did with simpler colors and basic shapes. I feel that speed, location and presentation play more of a role then all the fancy paint jobs at ridiculous prices.

The funny thing is that my two favorite lures can't even be bought anymore. Bone white jitterbug and 6" red rapala (the ones from 30+ years ago). I retired both lures because I learned how to fish with them and don't want to lose them.