NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Anyone fish the Passaic in Haledon to Paterson? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Anyone fish the Passaic in Haledon to Paterson?

Juust curious if anyone hits this stretch of river and where do you launch from. I drove around checking it out and it definitely looks promising, but kind of shady to leave my car. Anyone ever have any issues around their and how was the fishing there?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
iceehot6766

Default Re: Anyone fish the Passaic in Haledon to Paterson?

You hit the nail on the head...Looks shady(and i don't mean in a fishable way).....You may end up coming back to your car and it may or may not be there!!!!!!.....or even getting beat up by some local thugs in that area...If you do end up going, be careful and if possible, don't go alone..bring your cheapest rods just in case something bad were to happen and they tried stealing your stuff....you may laugh, but it's possible.......not the best area to be in if you know what I mean...I grew up in Paterson, but that was 40 years ago..We used to run the streets at 10:00pm and never look over our shoulders......Try that now and let me know how that works for you......ALOT differant now..BE CAREFUL!!.....that's all I am saying......Got it?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lol hey Mitch yeah I know exactly what your talking about. I was scouting it out and pulled down a few streets and decided it might not be worth it haha. Unfortunately its not really even possible to make it up there from down river which I have tried. Anyone park down by the high school by the ball fields in paterson and have any issues. Its more open in that area and might possibly be an alternative than parking on one of those streets in haledon.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
iceehot6766

You want to hear something...Haledon is just as bad as Paterson.......Not N. Haledon, by Manchester HS, but where the river flows and down Belmont Ave.. there is prob. more riff raff in that area than all of downtown Paterson.....If anyone lives in this general area and/ or knows what I am talking about is true, they will agree w/ me.....All the thugs,gangs,lowlifes, dealers, and riff raff took their "business" up that area ....Not sure if it's still there but there was/used to be one or more strip bars back in the 90's in that area and if you went and avoided injury, it was a miracle..you are targeted as soon as you go in that area by cops #1 and and drug dealers #2.......I'm gonna say it bluntly, If you are white, you most likely have no business in that area anyway.....Sorry if I have said it in a waythat may offend anyone, I don't mean it that way at all....just saying the truth....the last thing I would want to read in the newspaper, is an obituary of someone on this board, all in the name of catching a fish ....I've heard the horror stories of kids going to these places who are from Bergen county and ended up dead,robbed and/or beaten up.....No fish is worth any of that ......there are plenty of other spots on the Passaic to fish without risking your safety

Last edited by iceehot6766; 09-18-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ill heed the warning, but I still have the urge to throw the kayak in somewhere and paddle down to it. My concern isn't so much being on the water in that area its parking or fishing the bank along that area.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Don't do it!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I always hear about good fishing "behind Kennedy HS", but I have never fished there. Upstream of that (and safer) is the area where the Peckman River dumps in. Ive heard decent reports from there too.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've been there a few times, behind the hs. There's fish there but I never had a "great" day. Couple bass, couple pike, nothin huge. I've seen some pics though. Lots of shoreline fishing with shiners goin on there.

Funny, one time a dude came running into the woods from the b-ball court to take a leak and I was there workin some shoreline structure. He was more startled by me than I was of him. Def an Oh Sh!t kinda moment!!! All went well though as I returned home with everything I left with.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Washington ave and River rd in Elmwood Park, right next to the high school. There's a launch there and parking. The parking is right next to River rd so it sees constant traffic, no worries about your car from all I've heard or seen. I hear guys do pretty good with bass around Dundee falls which is just a little down river. It's got to be hit from the water, there's not great spots to cast along the shoreline with the exception of that launch area. Best of luck and let us know how you do.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Behind Kennedy is one of my old school spots, like 15 years ago I fished there. Never had any problems, always had 2-3 other anglers/criminals with me when I fished that spot. Definitely worth fishing!!!!

Don't forget your piece! Or piece pipe!!!