NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Deep Water Bass - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Deep Water Bass

I have an extremely difficult time with this and want to look beyond the carolina and texas rigs. Do you have any tips to catching fish in 15+ feet?

Thanks for the help. I think this part of fishing for me equates to my short game in golf. ha
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Deep Water Bass

Have you fooled around with dropshotting?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That deeper stuff is a pain. I have had success with whacky rigged Senkos believe it or not...but it's slow slow slow and can war on you after a while. The drop shot is a great option but I never seem to have enough ambition to rig it up...now that's lazy.

I am starting to use football jigs more as I have heard they can be good. Have caught a few fish on them either on the fall around structure if there is any....or dragged/hopped on bottom. You can also swim them like a spinnerbait after letting them sink to the depth you want. If it's weedy I switch to a 1/2 oz swimming jig (pointy head) and swim it/rip it through the tops of the weeds. Beats waiting for those mind numbing Senkos to sink! HA!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd101
I have an extremely difficult time with this and want to look beyond the carolina and texas rigs. Do you have any tips to catching fish in 15+ feet?

Thanks for the help. I think this part of fishing for me equates to my short game in golf. ha
Boyd - point of information if you may or may not know... I dont know the lakes you're fishing and can't speak for it, but on the lake I fish - each year we have a biologist on the lake run a series of tests...

One part of the test (mind you - this is YOY of data) - is our lake's oxygen content lines. This test shows you the oxygen level in the lake. The deeper it dives off the lower the oxygen becomes.

In our lake, the fish in our lake are most active above 12 feet. The fish that are below 12 ft - seem to go down there to settle down and not expand as much energy... ( it doesnt mean they wont hit nor will they come from the depths to snatch a rattle trap) - but I always thought it was very interesting in the lake I traditionally fish - most of the catching is done in the 12 ft or above vs 12ft or below which supports our biologists data.

Now I would assume each lake is different but this is something that I have held as a strong piece of data that lends me to fish the areas that will yield the best results.. Perhaps the environments you are fishing have a similar conclusion.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM
iceehot6766

My best advice is try dropshotting......It works........and easy to get the hang of after a few tries....once you feel a bump in your line or weight on the line , the fish is on....it's that easy...just like regular jigging,but works better for me........I hate deep water fishing myself(anything over 15 fow is considered deep in my book) , BUT, sometimes you have to in order to catch fish......good luck dropshotting!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd101

Funny thread coming from the guy with the biggest bass at the meet-n-greet. How deep was that PB you caught?

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

dropshot... so i looked it up and it's the same way that i fish fluke on a party boat... seems easy enough. thanks guys..

and yeah, scoward, even the master has his challenges
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

a blade bait like a binsky works great if theyre active, also a jig w a curly tail OR a weighted worm jig head like a stand-up-jig w a floating worm is killer. Dropshotting is a killer way to fish them, I always have a dropshot tied up when fishing for probing the depths when marking fish that are unknown to me
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 PM
iceehot6766

Jimmy , funny you mentioned Binsky and blade baits...I just tied on a Little George possibly for Sunday morning....not sure if the water is ready for that yet....water temps. got to be in the low 60's to be used effectively, but I am fall frenzy ready!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

this is all awesome info.. thanks all!