NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Walleye Spinner Rigs???? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Walleye Spinner Rigs????

Got a good deal on some stuff from a near by sporting goods store who took a bad hit from the hurricane and was selling off inventory for 50% off tagged price so got a bunch of spinner blades for practically nothing. I know there's alot of you "EYE GUYS" on the page so looking to hear some ideas. I was introduced to bottom bouncing this year with spinner rigs and looking forward to doing alot more next year. Who makes their own rigs? What type of line, LB test,hook, bead/blade combo's, # of beads used Etc. What type of equipment do you use as well. Any suggestions or opinions would be great!
Hey eddie, What do you gotta say???? I know you love the MARBLE EYES!!

HOPE THE NJF ICE FISHING GET TOGETHER HAPPENS SOON AS WELL!
Anybody else with a used flasher for sale PM me cause i'm interested in one but can't really afford a new one yet.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Walleye Spinner Rigs????

Ive only used crawler harnesses on a 3-way rig, so I'd like to hear what guys have to say as well. Always good to enhance the arsenal.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Walleye Spinner Rigs????

Love them spinner rigs. I love 6 lb test in lakes and reservoirs for jigging. Always use the smallest possible jig to get you down to the bottom. I use size 6 VMC hook on the harnesses and rigs I tie myself. The Lindy rig is also something I use alot especially in rivers. 3 way swivel with a 3 ft dropper and 1/4 to 1/2 oz weight going down with a 5-6 ft tag line coming off with a hook for live bait or Rapala. Drop that Lindy rig down near structure on the BIG D. Once you feel it hit bottom just pull upstream to about 2 o'clock, the current will give the lure/bait extra action. Reel in a little bit of line after a couple of pulls to cover ground quickly and efficiently. Drifting and Jigging IS the most effective method for finding Walleye. Just make sure you can feel and control your jig at all times. What else is really effective? Slip bobbers are awesome if you know how to use them in the spring to find those Eyes when there in 10-15 feet of water. Theres so many ways to catch Eyes but night time is thee right time just about all year long. Mid day action can also be great in february and march. I don't know if your going to get anything out of this post but I hope you do. If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

One more thing Walleye in NJ love worms!!! Always tip that twister tail or finesse jig with half a nite crawler and if that doesn't work tip the jig with a medium shiner.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
Love them spinner rigs. I love 6 lb test in lakes and reservoirs for jigging. Always use the smallest possible jig to get you down to the bottom. I use size 6 VMC hook on the harnesses and rigs I tie myself. The Lindy rig is also something I use alot especially in rivers. 3 way swivel with a 3 ft dropper and 1/4 to 1/2 oz weight going down with a 5-6 ft tag line coming off with a hook for live bait or Rapala. Drop that Lindy rig down near structure on the BIG D. Once you feel it hit bottom just pull upstream to about 2 o'clock, the current will give the lure/bait extra action. Reel in a little bit of line after a couple of pulls to cover ground quickly and efficiently. Drifting and Jigging IS the most effective method for finding Walleye. Just make sure you can feel and control your jig at all times. What else is really effective? Slip bobbers are awesome if you know how to use them in the spring to find those Eyes when there in 10-15 feet of water. Theres so many ways to catch Eyes but night time is thee right time just about all year long. Mid day action can also be great in february and march. I don't know if your going to get anything out of this post but I hope you do. If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime.

Kind of off topic, but while we're talking about Walleye; Eddie, how well do you usually do at night in the colder months? Do they usually stay deep post-turnover after dark?

That lindy rig setup sounds sexy in some slow current.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 12-01-2012, 04:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

In my opinion they'll feed at night all year round. For example if you drive to Monksville say at 3 am this winter to do some ice fishing, you will find guys out there jigging and dropping down bait for Eyes. My favorite cold water Walleye months are october, december and february. I use alot of finesse tactics so you can get em all day. But early morning and an hour or 2 before and after dark always seem to be the best. The problem is you gotta be out for a while to find out what time they'll be feeding. I do well jigging all year round. In the winter look for that 2-3 degree warm up in water temp. Last time I got Walleye threw the ice at Monksville was 2 years ago in feb and they hit from 415 to 530 that cold ass day. Me and a buddy had em marked all day but they just would not feed until the sun was halfway down. I definitely prefer night time but not super late like we do on Hopat, Swartswood, Greenwood and Monksville in the spring and summer. Theres different feeding patterns on every body of water. Its tough to get a pattern on these fish.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City
Kind of off topic, but while we're talking about Walleye; Eddie, how well do you usually do at night in the colder months? Do they usually stay deep post-turnover after dark?

That lindy rig setup sounds sexy in some slow current.
Oh yea, definitely fish deep, the eyes at Monksville were caught in 45 feet of water that cold day in February. Fish the water gap at Rt 80 for Eyes from the Yak. The spots at the gap are obvious and the water is low now so you'll be able to see the breaks in the river and up at the 80 bridge.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I like to use Lindy rigs in sizes 3 and 4. I fish a tandem hook rig with night crawlers and a single rig with minnows and leeches. I try to match the color of beads with the baitfish they're feeding on in the lake. Don't be afraid to use 2 and 3 ounce bottom bouncers. You want to keep your line as vertical as possible while trolling. I don't drag my bottom bouncer on the bottom but keeping in contact with it by dropping my rod tip. Spinner rigs catch everything....sunfish,perch, small and largemouth bass, pickerel,carp,channel catfish and a whole bunch of walleye. Oh yeah, keep an eye on your fish finder for sudden depth changes and structure so you can adjust or else......
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use 8-10lb flouro for my homemade harnesses and use #2 or #4 gammi octopus hooks. The big box fishing stores have all the parts u need, just youtube snell knots really easy. I pretty much do alot of silver blades and beads, and for deeper water chartruese type perch patterns. The sunfish type patterns work goodtoo, spinner rigs catch everything. As said 2-3 oz is what you wanna use unless your real shallow for bottom bouncers. If your marking suspended fish a 3 way w a lindy rig is good for up off the bottom. I have gotten alot of action on flickr shads and shad raps trolled deep, otherwise herring drifted is best where theres too much bait in the water for them to bother w lures
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There is so many color choices in NJ that its hard to say what is right or wrong. Jimmy and Jackstraw gave you great advice and are on point with there advice. Silver, gold, orange, firetiger, perch, purpledescent, white and yellow are all colors I personally have in my box of Walleye treats. The Eerie Dearie is something you will also need in your box, great set up in an assortment of colors. But listen if you want limits, JIGGING is a year long WALLEYE producer. Ive only been JIGGING Walleye for 8 years in this state and only caught 1000's of Eyes doing just that. In lakes where Herring are abundant, use Herring!!! I was in the Swartswood Lake tourney in May the last 3 years excluding this year. I caught 12+ Walleye jigging 3 years in a row with only 4 fish I would weigh in. All the winners were caught on Herring but those guys only caught 1 or 2 fish. My fish were all on JIGS!!! Last year being the smallest winning fish by my buddy, less than 5 lbs. TIGHT LINES!!!