NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Farrington The Pickerel Pile UP - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Farrington The Pickerel Pile UP

Hit the lake today before sunrise and started fishing the pads toward the lower part of the lake (launched at Church Street and was glad the decomposing dead deer there had finally decomposed...saw the rib cage in the weeks still in the lake as the last time I was there). No takers...only two quick strikes...pickerel

Moved under the bridge to fish the upper reaches and the pads and caught one after the other after the other pickerel. A few dink bass in the mix.

The exception was I saw a large splash in the pads and quickly cast to it...was rewarded with a 2 lb LMB! Finally was not to be as the pickerel were too thick today. Caught them from 8 inches to some real MONSTERS. All fish caught on either a Superfluke on the pads or ole tried and true...ROOSTERTAIL.

Lots of bluegills swimming/swirling in the shallows so switched to the fly rod (2 wt) and must have caught 30 + small to slab bluegills...hey it was starting to get hot out and the pad bite had died and these guys never say NO, so a great way to end a 6 hour trip. Best part, some folks fishing from shore saw the bluegill spectacle and I could hear them say "Man, that guy has got another one fishing the fly rod and he is throwing them back"
Old 06-09-2012, 08:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Farrington The Pickerel Pile UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkertaker
Hit the lake today before sunrise and started fishing the pads toward the lower part of the lake (launched at Church Street and was glad the decomposing dead deer there had finally decomposed...saw the rib cage in the weeks still in the lake as the last time I was there). No takers...only two quick strikes...pickerel

Moved under the bridge to fish the upper reaches and the pads and caught one after the other after the other pickerel. A few dink bass in the mix.

The exception was I saw a large splash in the pads and quickly cast to it...was rewarded with a 2 lb LMB! Finally was not to be as the pickerel were too thick today. Caught them from 8 inches to some real MONSTERS. All fish caught on either a Superfluke on the pads or ole tried and true...ROOSTERTAIL.

Lots of bluegills swimming/swirling in the shallows so switched to the fly rod (2 wt) and must have caught 30 + small to slab bluegills...hey it was starting to get hot out and the pad bite had died and these guys never say NO, so a great way to end a 6 hour trip. Best part, some folks fishing from shore saw the bluegill spectacle and I could hear them say "Man, that guy has got another one fishing the fly rod and he is throwing them back"
That's great! That's the best when you murder them on the fly rod and people are looking at you like...WHAT?????
Good job!

Leif
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Great report
havent been there yet this year, too busy in the salt but really miss it.
We used to call that spot the Pig Farm....
Paul
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

slab bluegills on the flyrod = tons of fun
Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
That's great! That's the best when you murder them on the fly rod and people are looking at you like...WHAT?????
Good job!

Leif
Yeah ya gotta love it when your trying your best to put a catch together and actually putting on a show with the rod bent in half

The upper part of Farrington, which is 10 min from my house, can be awesome spring and fall and the dead sea in the heat of the summer.

My PB LMB (7 + lbs on my scale) in NJ came from there using the methods described. This lake for me is usually quality not quantity...but...when I need action, the fly rod nearly always gets the job done!