NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

anyone fish from a sit on kayak? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-18-2012, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default anyone fish from a sit on kayak?

hello,

has anyone fished from a sit on kayak?is it hard to get used to?here is the kayak i was looking at.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family
Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: anyone fish from a sit on kayak?

Personally, I wouldn't want to fish from that yak. It's nice having storage to put your gear and have it stored safely. I fish from a Ocean Kayak Drifter. Picked it up a few years ago off craigslist for a few hundred. Added a few items to make it fishermen friendly.

Have you looked at the kayaks at Dicks Sporting Goods? I have read some good reviews and heard people talk about how much they like the Perception Sports Caster
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...417832.4417969

Heard the Field & Stream Eagle Talon is a pretty good kayak.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...417832.4417969

I know both are more expensive than what you posted, but I think it would be better to spend a little more and get something that is more setup and comfortable for fishing. Rather having to rig the kayak from the start. Also look on craigslist. You can find some decent deals there.

What are you plans with the kayak? Freshwater only? Small lakes and ponds? Big reservoirs? Hit the back bays and rivers and possibly the ocean?

Last edited by Dirty; 05-18-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I fish from an Emotion Temptation kayak. Haven't taken it out in saltwater yet, but I fish Lake Hopatcong without a problem at all. Modified it up a little bit, and it suits me just fine.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Like was said above, that's definetly not your best option for the price. Dick's has a very nice 10ft sit on top fishing kayak available in store for $399 as well. I'll probably be biting the bullet on it myself within the near future.

After spending probably thousands of hours in my kayak, I've found the biggest need is usable space. Somewhere to put a bait bucket, your tackle box, a net, and extra jacket or sweatshirt, food/snacks, etc. will be your biggest challenge, so starting off with something that's designed specifically for your needs (fishing!) will definetly be to your advantage.

I have a 10ft sit IN kayak that wasn't designed for fishing. I've put a decent amount of work into it making it fishing friendly (rod holders, anchor tie-downs, bunjees, fish finder, storage bin, camera mount) that though I have it almost perfect for my needs, in retrospect I probably should have started with something equipped with most of those things to begin with.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

i went the other route i picked out a kayak that had a ton of storage with lots of room in hope that i won't need to upgrade for a while...i have the ocean kayak big game and it has a 55lb trolling motor along with a side imaging fish finder so its pretty much a one person boat!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fish a hobie i12s inflatable sit on top. works beautifully if you're short on storage space.

haven't had it in the salt yet. maybe tomorrow along the islands in northern barnegat... who knows.

add-ons include:
- fish finder (lowrance dsi)
- 2 canon rod holders
- 1 side rod holder
- 1 scotty flag for visibility
- crate for storage
- anchor trolly

like i said it works real well and i've caught many fish on it that i would nto have been able to reach from shore. great investment!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbnimports
i went the other route i picked out a kayak that had a ton of storage with lots of room in hope that i won't need to upgrade for a while...i have the ocean kayak big game and it has a 55lb trolling motor along with a side imaging fish finder so its pretty much a one person boat!
Dude I'd imagine that thing HAULS ass with a 55lb'er on there lol. My buddy has the same but on his 14' fiberglass v-hull and it moves us pretty well, I couldn't imagine that much raw horsepower on my little old 'yak .

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Liquid Logic Manta Ray12....Have wanted to get one of these motors for years but have yet to meke the leap..http://bassyaks.com/
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There are so many better options out there. First figure out a budget on buying one. If $400 is the highest then you have limited options. for $600 you have much better options.