NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rough weekend on the water... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Rough weekend on the water...

Well with the nice weather finally upon on, I figured I'd devote most of my weekend to fishing (what else is new? ). Friday I went out in the kayak to the Dundee Lake section of the Passaic River. For those that don't know, this is the portion of the river directly above the Dundee Falls, where below it becomes tidal and brackish. It's supposedly loaded with Pike, Smallies, and even Tiger Musky (state stocked them here a few years back). Threw white spinnerbaits, big rapalas and livelined shiners from 345pm until a little after sunset with no luck. Did see a ton of carp breaching the water in a shallower section that I thought for sure would be Pike City. Literally being surrounded by rush hour traffic all around me (Rt. 21, 46, 80, and the GSP are all within sight here), it was definetly one of my most urban fishing trips. Water temps were 52 degrees with a strong wind. No luck though...

On Sunday we made the trip up to Oxford Furnace Lake in my buddy's 14' in search of Tiger Musky and true strain Musky. We arrived at the lake at about 830am to bluebird skies and a pretty stiff breeze. Trolled big jointed Musky lures and big swimbaits for a while, then tossed big soft plastics and some smaller rapalas...no dice. Fished until about 330pm with not a single hit...pretty frustrating given the small size of this place.

On a side note, I did get to mess around with the new Navionics app on my Android phone. Still learning how to work it, but the "tracking" setting as well as being able to "pin" specific points has me extremely excited..just wish I actually caught some fish lol. The list of lakes they have depth maps for isnt the greatest, but it does have some of the lakes a frequent (Hopatcong, Monksville, etc.).

Anyone else have any luck this weekend?

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rough weekend on the water...

I fished hopatcong on sunday from 9am to 230 pm. Got one smallie around 2 lbs a bunch of big bluegills in 35 ft of water and also a bunch of crappie in 32 to 39 ft of water. Not a bad day, but nothing big to talk about!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sounds like a rough weekend...don't quit though...gotta be out there to get em!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Getting skunked is still better than not being out there at all I guess lol

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

No doubt. Always nice being out on the water and you gotta take the good days with the bad. Ain't gonna catch S#$T sitting on the couch.