NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Splitrock Res. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Splitrock Res.

Anyone been here yet this year? Was wondering if the parking lot was open. Also if anyone knew if the smallies are done spawning and the largemouths and getting ready to? I am thinking about going on Sunday.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Splitrock Res.

I have a friend who did well there on his canoe a few weeks ago. Not sure about the smallies, but the LM are staging and on beds in small lake by my house where the water temp is probably a few degrees warmer. Even if they are spawning, they won't ALL be spawing and there should be plenty of pre-spawn fish still available.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks, it's good to know. I'll post a report on monday.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I grew up before the state took it over fishing Splitrock, This time of year if you park on the boonton side of the dam in the lot, facing the lake walk down to your right that cove gets chock full of spawning bass! Rubber craws are great, they trigger aggressive as well as forage bites. it's one of the best coves that end of the lake this time of year. back in the day this was the end you REALLY had to sneak in. The guard would leave you alone if you were "out of site" and not advertising fishing the lake in view of the road. but the cove by the lot you used to catch huge bass and the spawning mate would follow the fight all the way in!....all fish were released after being photographed. If you boat all the way to the upper end the neck between the last pond and the 2nd large expanse is absolutely fantastic! beep channels ledge up to weed forrests....picture perfect fishing!!! good luck Sunday!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks, I'll try the cove on the way out. I usually fish the second area you mentioned. Right in front of the island and the right side of the island with the large submerged rocks. I am hoping the rain holds off though.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Arrow Re: Splitrock Res.

If you go, make sure to pack a plastic bag and police the area for trash and what not. I make it a point to do it every time I visit there. It only takes 15 or 20 minutes, a few slobs ruin it for everyone.
Last time I was there I guy took out a new inflatable raft and left the huge cardboard box in the parking lot. There was an address on the box and it said BROOKLYN !!. If I had some extra cash I was gonna box it up and mail it back to the guy with a nasty letter.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

People are such slobs, I love that lake and will do whatever is needed to keep it clean and open for us fisherman.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Old Soft Salt

One Litterbug can ruin it for all, spinner wrappers, worm containers, drink bottles et. al. makes me annoyed, and I seem to be annoyed more and more.
And yes Andy really does play garbageman...I seen it and helped.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

....should have crapped in the box...im sure we would have all chipped in for the postage!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We went out sunday and got to the launch around 530. It was pouring rain and some thunder and lightning. Waited for the lightning to stop and then we launched. Went to the cove right near the launch and hit a 4 1/4 lb largemouth right near the large boulder. Hit two smallmouth as well. My buddy hit one almost 3lb largemouth in the same location. Went on the move and we caught another eigth largemouth and nine smallmouth, all in the one to two lb size. All fish caught on Lakefork plastics Texas rigged. The fog rolled in and we had only about ten feet visibility. All in all a good day.